Help needed with starter capacitor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afzalb

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking for some help from someone who knows about motor capacitors.

The pump of my swimming pool has started acting erratically. Sometimes it would start, and other times not. I could always get it to restart by turning the fan while turning on the power, so I deduced that the problem is a failing start capacitor.

I opened it and found the capacitor shown in the image.
20200309-1349.jpg

The thing is, Arcotronics don't exist anymore. The dimensions, by the way, are approximately 69mm by 38mm.

Can I just replace this with another PP 14uF +-5% unpolarized capacitor rated to 470V?

Or do I need something more specific? (BTW, I'm presuming it's not polarized as I can't see any + marking on or near the cables.)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Afzal

Attachments

• 20200309-1349.jpg
    20200309-1349.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 228
Yes, as long as it fits it will be fine.

Pete

Just make sure it is Run Rated (continuous use) , not just a start or intermittent rated item.

Thanks. By run rated, do you mean like the ~3000h at 470V on the current capacitor? Or is it something else I need to check?

Last reply was to CHJ. Thanks as well Pete.

I'm guessing that run-rated means a run capacitor as opposed to a purely start capacitor. I suppose a 14uF is generally going to be a run capacitor as I believe start capacitors are often at least 70uF. Either was, I'll check with the manufacturer fast sheet before purchasing.

Pumps rarely need much starting torque and usually employ permanent split phase capacitor motors where the capacitor is permanently connected hence the need to use a run type capacitor.
Ebay will be a great source just search on run capacitor for approximately the right value and 450v working.
The voltages quoted on your capacitor are misleading as they refer to the typical design life of the capacitor when stressed to those voltages.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... d&_sacat=0

Myfordman":l5xc6a3s said:
Pumps rarely need much starting torque and usually employ permanent split phase capacitor motors where the capacitor is permanently connected hence the need to use a run type capacitor.
Ebay will be a great source just search on run capacitor for approximately the right value and 450v working.
The voltages quoted on your capacitor are misleading as they refer to the typical design life of the capacitor when stressed to those voltages.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... d&_sacat=0

Thanks!

Almost every electrical whole saler will have capacitors, if you dont want to wait for ebay delivery.
Then again, I suspect youre not actually using your pool at the moment. Unless its indoors of course. :lol:
Mine is 4 degrees below outside air temp at the moment.

Back