Help needed - sticky situation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MatthewRedStars":rbheewqk said:
Rout a V groove along the join?

This was going to be my reply - "celebrate" the joint, at least that's what I've heard this technique called - can't remember where I heard it, but it was suggested that celebrating a joint that isn't quite perfect will help to distract the eye from said imperfection - the joint itself looks fine with yours, but a very minor v groove should remove the glue issue, and won't look terrible either.

Wouldn't adding stringing along such a join after the fact negatively impact the issue of wood movement in the main slats? It might be nigh on impossible to make sure the glue only remained on the breadbaord side.

Edit NVM - I should have read the rest of the thread.

I'd hardly call you "oafish" either - you cut quite a striking visage I thought when we met at Richard A's last do.

Come to think of it - after the cabinet I'd wouldn't call you a "wood butcher " either....

PS - just to take the edge off that "love in" - Memzey I noticed that the grain direction of the dowels aren't all facing the same way..... lol just a thought *grin*.

Hello Rafe - how are you keeping mate? Looking forward to Richard’s do again this year I must say. I put it in the calendar as soon as he announced the date.

I’d be careful around the shop if I were you though pal as you clearly must need specs these days; there are at least 8 oafish “gotchas” in these pics and you only managed to find one! I’ll be a mate - here you go -> www.specsavers.co.uk :)

Here are a couple of pics of the finished item anyway:
DFYNk3C.jpg

cHXKVTk.jpg

Mrs. memzey is quite pleased which is the ultimate passmark in our house anyway!

That looks excellent. Very flat!

Strong enough for years of family use without being too heavy and chunky. Nice details with the wedged through tenons too.

=D> =D>

Smashing job Memzey!

=D>

In particular well done on getting the two wedges the same size. When doing wedged tenons plenty of people just whack the first wedge fully home, which then closes up the gap for the second wedge so they can only get a tiny bit inserted, consequently they end up with Laurel and Hardy wedges, one fat one and one thin one!

Yours on the other hand are all perfectly even, which suggests you were smart enough to tap them home together with alternate gentle taps, or that you used a spacer to ensure both wedges were inserted to the same extent.

I like that.

Is the contrast in the wedged tenons just down to grain orientation ? Looks good. And I like the stopped chamfers.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is rather embarrassing that it took me nearly 5 months to spend the 30 odd hours it took to build this but I suppose that's what a full time job, wife and three kids will do to anyone's woodworking!

Tony - the wedges are end grain on and are actually bright white rippled sycamore that a kind and generous gent on this site sent me to use for that purpose. There is a thread about it if you scroll down the joinery & cabinet making board a little bit. I wanted a distinct contrast between the end grain of the ABW through tenon and the wedge end grain. The sycamore is definitely several shades lighter than any oak end grain could be.

Custard - I actually measured the required lengths and angles of the wedges so that, when they were hammered home, they would match the width of the part of the tenon that is moved by the wedge (if that garbled collection of words makes any sense). I got this pretty close actually but perhaps I shouldn't have bothered as the contrast in shades makes the light coloured wedges appear bigger or at least more eye catching than dark tenon part. I'll have to allow for that optical effect next time I think. And yes - I did tap the wedges home in such a way as to keep them even in size - light taps on alternating wedges if I recall correctly.

I have a 4 hour train journey back from Edinburgh on Friday evening, during which I will post up a retrospective/wip thread in case any of my buffoonery might prove helpful to others in future.

Thank you everyone who commented and helped me along the way.

So I did eventually post a wip thread in the projects sections for all those keen on seeing how the oafishness played out -> topic111674.html
Hope it makes sense but all feedback welcomed.

Back