Help needed sorting out a rampant eucalyptus tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to consider post-removal is waterlogging. That tree will be soaking up so much water, more than most other species, when it's removed that water has to go somewhere. You should ideally plant something in it's place to soak up that excess water.

MMUK":37q3umfg said:
One thing to consider post-removal is waterlogging. That tree will be soaking up so much water, more than most other species, when it's removed that water has to go somewhere. You should ideally plant something in it's place to soak up that excess water.

I've decided to plant two weeping willows...one either side of the pond.

Jim

jimi43":19szt2aj said:

Blimey, don't do that, Jim. The first house I bought had a weeping willow in the garden. The roots eventually grew all the way to the garage and broke through the concrete and into a pit that I had in the garage.

I'd never have one in a garden - nothing but trouble. They are OK near to rivers but not suitable for gardens in my experience.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1x1jcitp said:
jimi43":1x1jcitp said:

Blimey, don't do that, Jim. The first house I bought had a weeping willow in the garden. The roots eventually grew all the way to the garage and broke through the concrete and into a pit that I had in the garage.

I'd never have one in a garden - nothing but trouble. They are OK near to rivers but not suitable for gardens in my experience.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the advice Paul.....didn't know that. I have a beautiful one already down near the bottom of the garden and it's my second nicest tree...but it's miles away from anything serious.

Ok...what shall I get then...I have the pond down there and want something to replace the eucalyptus overhanging it at present.

Jimi

Jim,

I thought you were joking about the weeping willows otherwise I would have responded in similar vein. How about something like a white birch or there are some other nice birches with bark in more subtle cream and orange shades which peels every year. There are of course also many lovely maples with interesting foliage and stunning autumn colour, or the paperbark maple Acer griseum with peeling orange brown bark which looks stunning with sun shining through it.

Jim

These are most excellent suggestions chaps....I was thinking about a birch and that may be the solution but a maple is also a great idea.

I shall have to do some more research..I'm not much of a gardener but I do know what I like! :mrgreen:

Thanks all

Jimi

Back