Help needed from a bandsaw wizard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a Record BS 250 to Record 300E, the 300E being the bigger, more powerful bandsaw. I am a fan of the 250, and the 300E is even better, I can heartily recommend either machine.

However I have one major niggle with the 300, the lower blade guides. For some reason the lower guides have a peculiar ‘fairing’ around them (see the photos). This is made of black plastic and surrounds the blade and lower guides just below the table and I cannot fathom out the purpose for it.

The fairing around the lower guides.

IMG_0650.png
front view

IMG_0651.png
side view

Because of it, the guides are difficult to set accurately unless you remove it. It also seems to cause a build up of sawdust as the dust builds up around it instead of falling into the lower wheel housing to be removed by the extractor. It has to removed by a brush as vacuuming alone does not clear it.

As you can see from the photographs the lower side bearings are completely hidden by this fairing with only the thrust bearing being plainly visible. I am tempted to remove it altogether but I suspect this might invalidate the warrantee.

IMG_0653.png

With fairing removed the guides are much easier to see and adjust

IMG_0654.png
[/attachment]
With it removed, dust would be drawn into the lower wheel housing instead of building up around the fairing.

Can anyone give me an idea what the purpose of the fairing might be as for the life of me I cannot think of a one. But it must have some use or why would they have fitted it? It might help If I knew the reason for it.

I have even contacted Record power to try to get an explanation but have yet to receive reply.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.png
    IMG_0650.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0651.png
    IMG_0651.png
    162 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0653.png
    IMG_0653.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0654.png
    IMG_0654.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 221
I think most people on here who have a Record Bandsaw have simply removed it.
I seem to remember a recommendation that it should be reinstalled in the bin.

I'm not familiar with your particular machine, but I have come across similarly obstructive devices on other bandsaws. I assumed it's to stop you from chopping the ends of your fingers off if you poke them up underneath the table. I'm happy to be proved wrong though...

Pete

Bale":1lkvvbil said:
I'm not familiar with your particular machine, but I have come across similarly obstructive devices on other bandsaws. I assumed it's to stop you from chopping the ends of your fingers off if you poke them up underneath the table. I'm happy to be proved wrong though...

Pete
Or to stop small bits of wood falling between the blade and guides and jamming the blade.

Like yourself I found it more of a hindrance than anything. I'm all for safety but can't see me ever putting a hand right under the table while it's running.
I removed it and put it away along with the bolts in a cupboard. If you're concerned about the guarantee you can easily re-attach it before making a claim.
Paul

Just take it off as others have said; I had a similar issue on one of my bandsaws but easily fixed when the offending part is shown the bin - Rob

Had a reply from Record Power who tell me the fairing is there to for health & safety and is there to protect your fingers from the blade. I am thinking who would be stupid enough to put their hands under the table while its running??? But I have learned never to be surprised at some peoples antics.

However they also tell me that removing it will not affect the warrantee. Its gone!

when you ask a question like "who would be that stupid", the answer is many many people who have not been been trained, never seen a blade cut, didnt know it was there, young kiddie wandering around following his grandad, the list goes on.

safety features can be a complete pain in the situpon, but, there is a reason for most of them.

I can give you an example of a stupid safety feature though. My axminster 350 bandsaw has a 100 mm dust port on the lower wheel housing. It would be possible for someone to push their entire hand inside and into the spinning wheel. so what did the designer do to protect people from themselves?
They welded a solid steel plate across 3/4 of opening on the inside, thats what.
Now that 100 mm hole has through flow of about a 50 mm hole. Wonderful planning.

I have blanked it off altogether, removing over 90% from the 100 mm port just below the table.I occasionally open the lower door and vacuum the dust out, but theres not much in there.

Yorkshire Sam":3h32yljz said:
I am thinking who would be stupid enough to put their hands under the table while its running??? But I have learned never to be surprised at some peoples antics.

In the 1970's I worked for a manufacturing company and was partly responsible for identifying hazards and ensuring that all their machinery complied with the (then new) health and safety at work act. I learned from experience that if, on a machine the size of a house, there was one hole left that you could push a finger into, someone would eventually do just that. While sharing much of the current disdain for today's nanny culture, I have seen people do the most amazingly careless and stupid things around moving machinery.

Pete

Remember Dave Allens explanation of his missing finger?
His dad was chopping wood, he placed his finger on the chopping block. His dad thought he would move the finger, he thought his dad would deliberately miss.
What are the odds of TWO stupid people being that close to each other? Although admittedly it was in the genes.

Back