Help...need to replace table saw motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenpin

Established Member
Reaction score
whilst ripping some Canadian Maple this weekend on my Rexon table saw http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=21784&ts=87366# the dust extraction hose inside came loose and came off....
you guessed....overheated the motor and nice ploom of smoke and a horrible plastic burnt smell...now won't start, just keeps blowing fuses.

the motor is a 1300w ...Model RM04B.

Question.
can i replace the motor with a higher watt version from a plain old motor supply shop....
or
contact Rexon for a new motor as the saw is still a current model.

Thanks
Nick

I'm guessing that the Rexon has a brush (series) motor as the no-load speed is given as 4800rpm
The Machinemart motors are induction motors, which run at just under 3000rpm for 2 pole and 1500 rpm for 4 pole.
Changing to an induction motor is usually a good idea if the size, mounting, and drive pulley problems can be overcome. You will need to have a good look, especially at the size because series motors are always smaller than the equivalent induction motor

if an induction motors fits and you can afford it, then fit it

induction motors are better for your ears

we all ignore such things BUT if a noise makes your ears ring after youve used it

you HAVE experienced a minor hearing loss

BE AWARE it is cumulative

Hello Nick,
If the saw is still within the warranty period, then they will replace the whole saw. I've had a few dealings with rexon and their customer service is exellent, even sending out to me free parts just after a phone call to them. If warranty has expired, I think it would be just as cost effective to buy a new saw and maybe treat yourself to an upgrade pehaps.
jon.

Manufacturers smoke is normally very expensive to re-install in my experience !

I found one description of this saw which said it had a soft start. This almost certianly means it does have a brush motor. Also from the size of the machine, I suspect it will be a direct drive saw which means the motor shaft will need to be suitable to mount the blade.

I reckon you will have to get the exact motor replacement. I don't know what Rexon's spares policy is like but you might find it will cost as much as a new saw being a special order sent form the other side of the world.
You might want to consider a contractor type saw with belt drive and an induction motor which are much less likely to burn out again and much much kinder on the ears.

Good Luck

thanks Guys,

will try Rexon for warranty today....
have been trying to convince SWMBO that i might as well upgrade if that does not come about 8) but she quickly scotched that :cry:

9fingers
correct, direct drive mototr(blade direct to the motor shaft)...

Back