HELP! My hand cranked pillar drill won't drill!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simon, if you turn the handle and wind that top handle at the same time, does it lower?

I think you are a bit missing from the top that clicks round and does this automatically. I cant quite remember how mine works, but it has that part which stops it running in reverse too. is the drill branded?

edit have a look at the last pic here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BENCH-DRILL-H ... 689wt_1262

Yes its branded as Union.

The clicky none return leaver is engaged by an elliptic shaft on the drill body, that works, in order to turn the top handle (looks like the lowering device) the two top bolt need to be disengaged, then the drill shaft just undose itself, if you tighten them to stop that you can't wind the top handle....... :evil:

Simon,

I have the same model, which works so at least we have a reference. I cant picture the bolts that you mean but it is a while since I used mine. I can have a look tomorrow if you are still stuck, and call you to work our way through it if necessary. It will be evening though. Can you post some more pics, particularly of the top area. if the drill is turning that has to be the problem bit.

Mark

Here's a link to a post I did about the restoration of my Union drill. Mine is the two speed model and a slightly different design, but you can see the way it works in the pictures (the last two show the mechanism in detail)

post532016.html#p532016

El.

Simon - we do not see the advancement mechanism working in either the video or the photos.

I think that the two nuts at the top should spin with the shaft.

What causes the downwards pressure is the levered pawl on the cam - the toothed wheel underneath the top wheel. I think I see it turning in increments in the video; this is slow, but normal for such things. They are notoriously slow in advancement.

As you turn it, look at what happens with that pawl and cam. Is it moving the chuck downwards (allbeit slowly) ?

It's amazing how hard it is to describe engineering stuff using English! I'll have a go though.

The two nuts hold the whole operation together and do spin when the drill is turned. They are screwed onto a threaded rod which runs down the inside of the threaded bar you can see.

Threaded rod the two bolts are attached onto
camera001_zpscffde42a.jpg

The rod the bolts are attached to and threaded bar move independently of each other, the rod is part of the lower bar which the chuck is attached to, the threaded bar sits over the rod and rests on a thrust bearing.

Threaded bar visible as the upper part of the spindle. The rod runs up the centre of this bar
camera092_zpse32dadb5.jpg

The threaded bar is concerned with the lowering of the chuck as the drill is turned, the rod simply with the turning action.

Sorry I've not done a great job explaining myself!

Thank you for all your help, the drill is going back tonight as there is no downwards movement, even a mm (I checked with a set of calipers) :(

Big thanks for all the help and advice.

AndyT":brhjce42 said:
Jelly":brhjce42 said:
marcros":brhjce42 said:

I ended up buying that, and it's all your fault! :p

You outbid me! I hope it was worth it - do show us how you get on as you bring it back to life.

It arrived today, very badly siezed, I was worried i'd bought a duffer...

However, after some mucking about finding my imperial spanners, applying a whole can of penetrating oil, and rather brusque persuasion with a mallet I got it apart. Applied further oil, reassembled, and then got a bit overexcited and drilled a hole in the mallet head (it's a rolson 2.99 special reserved for hitting things very hard, so no matter).

I'll start a new thread with pictures, when I can get at a PC.

andy, if you are still looking for one, I have a Union that I may be tempted to part with. When I bought it, I actually bought a second one about a week later which is sat at a mates house- he collected it when going nearby for the football and would dearly like it to be shifted to my garage rather than his!

These hand cranked drills may look old fashioned but they are really useful bits of kit. We had one ay home when I was a kid (I'm over 60 now) and it was fantastic. Of course the slow speed meant we couldn't mount a grindstone or sanding drum on it, as you can for modern powered units, but for just drilling holes it was the business, and no overheating of the bits.
Unfortunately for me the drill went elsewhere in the family when my dad died, else I'd be using it still.

Well worth refurbishing if you have an old one.

Back