• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Help- mounting dado to RAS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone got a means of mounting a Freud 8" stacking dado set on a Dewalt RAS I believe some one used to produce a stub shaft or the like my set is 30 mm bore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I just a wuss or does this sound as dangerous as the American youtubers' love of using table saws without crown guards and even riving knives ?

That's a lump of metal ready to take a run at you if you lose control for even a moment.

I have used a radial arm saw with dado blades to cut crosscut grooves. That was with a long arbor though. It is not as scary as it sounds as long as you exercise the needed caution. A truth with all manner of machines that is rarely followed. I have never heard of an arbor extension for one though and I wouldn't use it if there was one. Thingybob use it with a single blade making multiple cuts and clean up the bottom of the groove with a router plane. If you plan on lots get another and pull the motor from it and make a bracket to hold a router. Then you can make the crosscut grooves without spooking Sideways and your brethren. You can even tilt it to increase the versatility of the router.

Pete

I have a DeWalt bracket for my RAS. It's a reasonably simple construction, but you have to remove the guard and blade. It mounts on the the same lugs as the blade guard. It's a bit of effort for occasional use. A dedicated machine would be much better.

Am I just a wuss or does this sound as dangerous as the American youtubers' love of using table saws without crown guards and even riving knives ?

That's a lump of metal ready to take a run at you if you lose control for even a moment.
I have used set in a table saw no problem just cant mount it on RAS motor shaft thats 20 mm blade set is 30mm

I have a DeWalt bracket for my RAS. It's a reasonably simple construction, but you have to remove the guard and blade. It mounts on the the same lugs as the blade guard. It's a bit of effort for occasional use. A dedicated machine would be much better.
Hi sandy i have a catalogue with the router bracket shown my main router is an ELU177E but its not showing on Miles Tools site i wonder if they still make the bracket. Part no is DA2097 in both Elu and Dewalt catalogues

What model of RAS do you have?

I have an old 1250. This uses 30mm bore diameter blades in normal mode even though the main arbor is 16mm 5/8th inch diameter. The internal flange is machined with a 30mm ring to act as a bore reducer but the whole unner flange can be removed and replaced with a shorter flange with a flat face allowing use of a standard freud dado stack. There is also a replacement blade guard that covers the blade. I use this from time to time with my 8 inch Freud dado stack.

As for router brackets there are two that were available, one for smaller routers Like my Bosch POF500 and the other for larger routers that use the fence extension rods that fit larger routers. I have the small one and as mentioned above you use the machine as a holder for the router and remove the blade guard and blade.

Have a look at www.drosera.f2s.com/RAS/DeWalt_Powershop_Handbook.pdf

Also I have posted several times about my RAS so you may like to search the forum for RAS and posted by me.

Jeff

What model of RAS do you have?

I have an old 1250. This uses 30mm bore diameter blades in normal mode even though the main arbor is 16mm 5/8th inch diameter. The internal flange is machined with a 30mm ring to act as a bore reducer but the whole unner flange can be removed and replaced with a shorter flange with a flat face allowing use of a standard freud dado stack. There is also a replacement blade guard that covers the blade. I use this from time to time with my 8 inch Freud dado stack.

As for router brackets there are two that were available, one for smaller routers Like my Bosch POF500 and the other for larger routers that use the fence extension rods that fit larger routers. I have the small one and as mentioned above you use the machine as a holder for the router and remove the blade guard and blade.

Have a look at www.drosera.f2s.com/RAS/DeWalt_Powershop_Handbook.pdf

Also I have posted several times about my RAS so you may like to search the forum for RAS and posted by me.

Jeff
My RAS is a Dewalt DW8001 12" blade size but can use smaller i was thinking the router housing with my MOF177E would be a boon i have a Ryobi router table fitted with the Ryobi industrial 1/2" router so ok for mouldings. The dado stack would need the narrower back flange and a set of rings to be able to adjust the thickness of trench buy using different blade configeration the rings would be 30mm OD and 20mm ID and different thicknesses to suit chippers a small amount of allowence could be made with a new smaller outer flange it dosnt need to be 100 mm diameter as it is at present , Im sure some body was making this some years ago i was told this by a salesman at Axeminster Tools in Devon

Still looking for the router bracket for my dewalt ras the type that sits over the grove that the top blade guard fits in and is bolted to the 8mm stud on the top of the motor any one got one they dont use ? Its to fit my Elu 177e router using the guide rod fittings not the collar type one thats offset

Back