Help: Minimax S45 spring replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatlandsF7a

Probably in the shed. Probably cold.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place, but can't find a better home for this question.

I (relatively) recently got an S45 at auction in pretty good condition (I'm quite pleased in any case). It runs well, cuts smoothly etc. except that with the bigger blade widths (for resawing), it doesn't seem to get up to tension. Some investigating around has indicated that the spring in the tensioner might be shot. It was fully tightened and totally compressed when I got the machine, and I gather that might have knackered it somewhat?

As far as I can tell, the S45N from SCM is basically the same machine, and thus I guess probably has the same spring. However, I can't find a parts diagram/list for the S45 or S45N anywhere online, and so have no idea what spring to get to replace the (probably) knackered one. Does anyone have any experience/advice? The only bandsaw spring I can find easily online is the iturra one, which is marketed as a replacement for a range of 14" bandsaws, and I assume this makes it inappropriate for a (nearly) 18" saw? Perhaps not, I know little about this!

Also, any advice on how to do the actual replacement, should I find the right spring? The threaded rod tensioner doesn't seem to completely unscrew (just rotates freely after a while without moving), suggesting that it is held in place somehow, and I can't find an obvious way to access the end to free it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place, but can't find a better home for this question.

I (relatively) recently got an S45 at auction in pretty good condition (I'm quite pleased in any case). It runs well, cuts smoothly etc. except that with the bigger blade widths (for resawing), it doesn't seem to get up to tension. Some investigating around has indicated that the spring in the tensioner might be shot. It was fully tightened and totally compressed when I got the machine, and I gather that might have knackered it somewhat?

As far as I can tell, the S45N from SCM is basically the same machine, and thus I guess probably has the same spring. However, I can't find a parts diagram/list for the S45 or S45N anywhere online, and so have no idea what spring to get to replace the (probably) knackered one. Does anyone have any experience/advice? The only bandsaw spring I can find easily online is the iturra one, which is marketed as a replacement for a range of 14" bandsaws, and I assume this makes it inappropriate for a (nearly) 18" saw? Perhaps not, I know little about this!

Also, any advice on how to do the actual replacement, should I find the right spring? The threaded rod tensioner doesn't seem to completely unscrew (just rotates freely after a while without moving), suggesting that it is held in place somehow, and I can't find an obvious way to access the end to free it.

Thanks in advance!
Phone SCM in Nottingham. They were really helpful the couple of times I needed advice/parts.
If it's a common fault and they'll know all about it already.

Last edited:
Hi, here's the page from the parts list- as far as I can make out it's part no. 2

Attachments

• IMG_6648.jpg
    IMG_6648.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks everyone.

Yes, it's the right blade length, mine has a similar label with the same length to the mm.

I'll phone SCM tomorrow, good to know that they are responsive and have good chat.

I have just been fiddling with the Bandsaw again, and have both managed to remove the threaded rod (percussive persuasion did the trick), and also satisfied myself that it is indeed the spring by 'tensioning' without the blade and seeing how high the wheel is raised, then seeing it come to a halt at a low blade tension, and the spring just become compressed without it really taking much effort at all on the remaining knob.

This has had the added benefit of allowing me to easily remove the spring to take accurate measurements. All told, I am now leaning towards buying a higher quality spring with the same dimensions as outlined in the Hammer 4400 blog referenced above.

A replacement spring going down this path seems to come in at around £10-£15, so I don't see an SCM replacement being cheaper! I will update to let you know how I get on.

Sorry for forgetting to reply here.

Berger tools (Berger Home) had a great selection of springs. In the end I bought three to get to the minimum order which helped to ensure I was going to have one that worked, and with postage it was around £15!

In the end the G25-064 was the best fit, and it's been tensioning blades beautifully, and was a doddle to 'fit'. I thought a 32mm OD spring might actually be a bit better, but the hole for the spring to pass through is only 30mm wide, so that was a no go. One unexpected advantage was that the spring is almost exactly the same colour as my S45, so it looks tailor-made!

Overall, a very easy, and cheap, fix in the end. Also, it has reinvigorated my bandsaw use, so that's always a good thing.

PXL_20220204_175925412.jpg

Hi
Thanks for your useful post. I'm considering buying a used S45N. I've read elsewhere that the S45N won't fully tension blades above 3/4" and just wondered whether with this spring upgrade you can properly tension a 1" resaw blade?
Also how do you find this saw in general? It will mainly be left setup for resaw leaving my existing smaller saw for all other work including curves..
Thanks,
Tim

and just wondered whether with this spring upgrade you can properly tension a 1" resaw blade?
Read this ....
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/scm-minimax-s45-bandsaw-teardown-overhaul.135069/

The S45 isn't designed to take more than a 20mm blade and without significant modification (much more than just swapping a spring) it can't properly tension an M42 blade in 20mm size.
So no, I don't think it's a good host for a 25mm resaw blade even though it is a well made saw in many other respects and has a strong frame for it's size.

As the saw isn't specced for bigger than 20mm, we never bothered to do the maths to see if it can make the tension needed for a 25mm carbon steel blade. You can follow our thread and do the numbers for 25mm carbon steel to decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back