Help me tame my router table!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently set up a router table using an incra plate and a triton router and the results are very good.. however!

The only task I'm having issues with is routing I curved profiles using a template and flush cutting bits, I understand the theory of grain direction, so I ordered a 4 fluted template trim cutter from Wealden Tools and so far I haven't had great results..

My thoughts were to buy the long cutter with a bearing on each end so I could quickly flip the timber (with template attached) over so use the same bit in the correct grain direction, however I'm still getting nothing but tearout even when removing a miniscule amount of material.

The timber I'm referring to is around 40mm thick, is this too deep to attempt to route in a single pass? Should I ditch the longer bit and buy a few shorter template bits and route the profile flush with the template in very shallow passes and increase the depth of cut slowly?

Would this make it easier and avoid the bit grabbing when routing against the grain?

Thanks

I am certainly no expert on this but I have always found it best to get the router to remove the absolute minium material for best results.
Can you cut your profile almost to the line with a bandsaw or jig saw and just use the router for the finishing?

James

I am basically trying to finish the last 1mm or less after cutting close to the line and spindle sanding ready for routing.. but unless I orientate the cutter direction strongly matching the grab direction (which is far from an easy task on the complex shapes I've been attempting) then I get ridiculous tearout!

If I were to use a shorter template bit and increase the height of the bit gradually after each pass, would this reduce the likelihood of tearout if I need to rout against the grain slightly?

Hello,

Sorry! It's a 1/2" cutter and I've tried ash, sapele and poplar so far. The results are great in thinner wood but it seems to have a hard time trimming in tighter corners in thick wood, and obviously where the bearings are fixed at each end I can't remove any less in shallow passes.

I think I've resigned to the fact it was a bad decision for my uses! haha lesson learned. I'll be using some shorter template bits to trim in a series of graduating depths from now on to avoid any tearout and scares!

Back