Help me spend £20k on a small joinery workshop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shed9":1x2sov41 said:
Consider Felder and / or the Felder Hammer range. Austrian built and they have a branch in South Africa (I believe) so you have an opportunity to see the kit in action.

This would be more conducive to access to the manufacturer in terms of initial purchase and moving forward with advice and spares, etc.
I do agree 100%. This is the best way by far to go ahead with your idea as there are nothing really worthwhile close to you other than Felder.
In your situation forget about Wadkin, Robinson, Sedgewick and Startrite, although excellent machines you are far away from spares and technical help. Your best bet is Felder or Hammer.

One more thing to note is the use of a generator to drive the machinery. Be aware that some generators will not play nicely with some power tools unless a decent inverter is in the mix. Some generators output the voltage over what is effectively a square wave to simulate AC mains whereas an inverter will actually output a true sine wave with cleaner results. The reason this is important with some power tools is that sometimes the tools use this sine wave to regulate speed and other crucial operations. Some modern mitre saws for example will simply not even run on a basic generator.

I'm sure you have thought of it but wanted to mention it as it will add to your budget and may be an expensive gotcha.

if your serious and get this set up i'm a woodwork teacher and would offer possible training during the summer break if its needed woodwork tools r great but seriously dangerous if used with poor techniques and practices. tools don't need modern breaks just a bit of wisdom and caution when using them. tools don't do things wrong just the operators.

regards richard

ps do u have 3 phase or single 3 phase machines r much cheaper in the used market. also look at 3 festool products ts55, domino and rotex 150 sander

rdesign":1h6tqrig said:
also look at 3 festool products ts55, domino and rotex 150 sander

SShhhh, don't mention Festool, he only has £20k.

Seriously though, this is a very viable option. I bought all of my Hammer kit off a carpenter who moved his entire shop over to Festool. Ironically I've filled my own shop with Festool since but kept the stationary kit as these are used just as much. Lot of people tying into the system approach of Festool but it gets real expensive, real quick.

SShhhh, don't mention Festool, he only has £20k.

i only mentioned the 3 best ones he prob wants the vac too :/ tho slippery slope but they can do a lot

Wow , your a lucky man Hippo.

As your container is shipping from Hamburg, may I suggest getting the machinery in Amsterdam, I know of 2 dealers, but 1 , I would definitely recommend.
Plus, it would be a short 5 hour drive to the container.
PM me with a list , I'll pass it on to him, by the way he sells a load of old MARTIN machines so look these up, as many woodworkers regard them as the rolls royce of machinery.

All the best,

Karl

Hi Hippo,
I don't know if this comes too late, but eighteen months ago I purchased a number of machines with a view to beefing up our lightweight existing equipment. It was virtually all three phase and my intention was to get this installed and set up shop. However further down the line I realised just how expensive this was going to be and it hasn't happened. I'm now contemplating a single phase combination machine instead. So, I wondered if these machines may interest you, they were all in good running order when I purchased them, the previous owner was a hardwood window and door manufacture who emigrated to Oz. They comprise of the following :
Wadkin 24" thicknesser
Wadkin 12" surface planer
Robinson16" dimension saw
Sedgwick morticer
Soamad tennoner
Small but solid old Whitehead bandsaw
These big old machines are bulletproof and I'm sure fit your needs, if you were interested I could email you all the model and serial no.s and talk figures?
Many thanks
Phil

Hi
Seems like you already have lots of advice, but I would second "Stuart's" comments about Sedgewick etc. I'd stay away from Axminster

David

It has been a while since I first asked for your advice on setting up a workshop but I have, after much research, just confirmed an order for machines from an Italian manufacturer. The discount I was able to negotiate dealing directly with the factory far exceeded any savings I could have enjoyed by buying good second hand machines. I have written a précis about my search for machines on my blog (I do not think I can post links here so just Google, 'A Hippo on the Lawn', it'll appear on the first results page; the post is called, 'A Little Bit of Wood'). The post includes pictures of all the machines I have ordered. If anyone here, having read the post, is curious about the specifications of the machines, ask here and ye shall receive. It will take the factory three months to have the machines ready for shipping so there is still time for any advice (or criticism), especially regarding tooling for the machines. I have yet to decide the diameter of the spindle on the spindle moulder, for example, and it will be the tooling I need to make doors and windows that will probably determine this.

Once again, thank you all for your advice and assistance.

Mod edit... http://hippo-on-the-lawn.blogspot.co.uk/

You certainly wont regret buying the 4-sider. For producing planed all round timber, it takes about 30 seconds to set up and is about 8 times quicker than using a surface planer and thicknesser.

I hope you will update the thread when your workshop is set up

kostello":3mvqtrim said:
Great blog

+1

I found the post where the English teacher compared you to Jonathan Phang really funny, from the photo at the end I see what he means :D

Good luck with the workshop, you've got yourself some great looking machinery.

Back