Help me out of this situation! Broken insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i was the first on the thread to suggest the nut and bolt thing and ive made massive reference to it in a very long winded response already ill suggest you go look. 😁😜

Yes, 1 bolt 1 nut. Wind bolt on a few times. Lock nut to top of insert. Tighten bolt. When done hold bolt and release nut then wond bolt out.

Genuinely, this is day one mechanics/ engineers level stuff.

Best to cut a thread in the wood using a Tap (not kitchen or bathroom) of the same thread size as the inset before fitting, especially in hard wood ( oaky, mahogany etc)

As i was the first on the thread to suggest the nut and bolt thing and ive made massive reference to it in a very long winded response already ill suggest you go look. 😁😜

Yes, 1 bolt 1 nut. Wind bolt on a few times. Lock nut to top of insert. Tighten bolt. When done hold bolt and release nut then wond bolt out.

Genuinely, this is day one mechanics/ engineers level stuff.

Fitter! the engineer is the one who can calculate the bolt stress based on your tightening torque and thread coefficients.

does seem to be 20 posts too many for a basic question I agree

Best to cut a thread in the wood using a Tap
Good luck finding a tap with that thread !! Much better to take note of what's been said before and drill a hole at the same diameter as the root of the insert thread just below the flange.

Best to cut a thread in the wood using a Tap (not kitchen or bathroom) of the same thread size as the inset before fitting, especially in hard wood ( oaky, mahogany etc)
Actually it needs to be a little undersized to allow for a friction fit. But good luck in finding one. Taps for metal threads are easy to find, but the ones for the inserts are like hens teeth. Probably if you have metal bashing and chopping skills and tools you can make one. I’d be suprised to find them on sale anywhere.

Just as a matter of intrest, was the insert being screwed into solid wood, if so perhaps they are just not up to it?
Not having had to try getting one out I have to say that my inclination is that a bolt screwed in with a nut really tightened up would only work if it was all pretty loose anyway,,but its clearly very tight because the thing broke as it was being inserted,,I can just visualise the bolt continually unscrewing,,,maybe Im a pessimist! If its not a blind hole is it possible to screw in from the back, maybe use an allenbolt or pack under the head so that you bed down on the sert and continuing to screw you wind the sert back out again?

Latest posts

Back