Help: Making Wood threads for sofa leg

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
Hello all,
I like to fit sofa legs onto a sofa with hand made wooden screw threads. The wood I'm using is British white oak, is that suitable? where can I get a preferable antique complete tool set?
I never did such a job before, so how does it works: when making a sofa leg, will the wooden thread be a separate part glued into the leg or will the leg/ wooden thread be made out of the same wood piece? the wooden leg has a diameter of 10cm, so quite chunky. What diameter do you recommend for the wooden thread?

Hopefully you, dear wood workers, can help me with that **
Kind wishes,
Sunny

I am afraid I am not sure that I understand the questions.....

1. why antique tools? and to do what part of the process?
2. if you do not set the thread into the leg you will have to be very careful to cut the thread into the sofa such that the leg will locate at exactly the position you require - assuming that the leg itself isn't turned. If it is, then you would want it integrale.
3. to maximise the strength of the unglued joint you would want the thread to be the maximum diameter possible consistent with sufficient shoulder to lock against.

Are you thinking of a screwbox and tap? There are antique ones from somewhere like:

http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/Other_M ... Tools.html

Or places like Toolpost or Axminster do them new. Toolpost also sell a system made by Beall which uses a router to cut the thread which is superb but probably not what your after, as you want to use hand tools.

Do the legs need to be removable? If not I would do the biggest round tenon and socket I could, and glue it.

Cheers David

Oak isnt the ideal wood to cut a thread on without bits breaking of you would be better of fixing a bit of boxwood into the leg for the thread the screwbox and taps from places like Axminster do cut a reasonable thread but the box cutter does need regular sharpening or the will just tear the wood

Latest posts

Back