Help Just how old is this ??????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have just been given a No. 77 Record Bullnosed Plane. The leaver cap simply says "RECORD BRITISH" in an oval, the Iron "Record Sheffield, tungston Steel". It is nickel plated (or whats left of it).
I intend to use it when I can, the blade is sharp and well honed. It has had a loving home and now its mine to keep.

Any help would be appreciated. Ta

Bean

Bean,

Pah, totally worthless. I'll take it off your hands mate, no charge... :wink:

Well nickel plated suggests pre-war, between 1933 and 1939. That's assuming it really is nickel plating. But we can use other features too. If there's a "small triangular-shaped panel recess on each side of the plane with a chequered pattern cast in it" then it's an early example. The "Record British" on the lever cap puts it pre-1969. Unfortunately the iron marking isn't much help at all. It doesn't have a box or anything I suppose...?

Lucky blighter :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf no triangular sections I'm afraid, and no box, I'm not that lucky :wink: .

Dave whas up chap !! next time we meet I'll let you hold it if you like :wink:

Bean

Alf":1wmcrdhi said:
Bean,

Pah, totally worthless. I'll take it off your hands mate, no charge... :wink:

Well nickel plated suggests pre-war, between 1933 and 1939. That's assuming it really is nickel plating. But we can use other features too. If there's a "small triangular-shaped panel recess on each side of the plane with a chequered pattern cast in it" then it's an early example. The "Record British" on the lever cap puts it pre-1969. Unfortunately the iron marking isn't much help at all. It doesn't have a box or anything I suppose...?

Lucky blighter :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Oooh. Just checked the #77 I picked up off the Toolman in the market. It has the triangular shaped bits you mention. :shock: Not a lot left of the nickel plating, but still in good nick.
So how early is it likely to be Alf?

Alas the fount of knowledge (my Record catalogue reprint) is silent on exact dates, just "early". Certainly the 1930s anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Any hints on shapening these things, I have checked the edge as it did not seem square to the mouth of the plane, and yes it would appear to have been shapened out of square. It does not fit well into my sharpening jig and at the moment I'm struggling to grip it to hand sharpen.

Any hint tips or ideas greatfully recieved

Bean

The, usually, very unlovely Stanley honing guide comes into its own here. Especially because it doesn't rely on side clamping and holds the iron low down so you can usually get a good grip on the meat of the iron rather than just the narrow part. This sort of thing, and spokeshave irons, is reason enough to me to possess a Stanley, but I wouldn't want to use it all the time. An alternative is to make some sort of carrier that will fit in your guide, and clamp the iron to the carrier.

Oh, and check it wasn't deliberately sharpened out-of-square to compensate for an out-of-square plane bed. More than one person has been caught out on that. DAMHIKT... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

ALF Thats just what I was attempting to use, I have checked the bed which seems to be flat enough and resonably square to the sides( useful having a CMM) at work :wink:
If I have time I will measure the rest up to be sure that everything is where it should be. As soon as my hands ease off I will have a go at hand sharpening, its starting to annoy me now :x

Bean

Why carn't freebies be perfect ??

Bean,
a trick that was posted some time was to clamp blades that could not be held in the guide directly between the blade and cap iron from another bigger plane that was then put in the guide. Might be worth a try. :D

Dave
I wish I had thought of that, it sounds like a good one :D

Are you enjoying your new plane yet, lucky fellow !!

Bean

Oh, and check it wasn't deliberately sharpened out-of-square to compensate for an out-of-square plane bed. More than one person has been caught out on that. DAMHIKT...

Uh. I'll second that sage advice. I'll also second the DAMHIKT.

BugBear

Bean":hre7dlfy said:
Dave
Are you enjoying your new plane yet, lucky fellow !!

No not yet, I spoke to Keith today, its on its way. :D They really do want to display my box at Tools 2004, :oops: shame I cannot get there. :x

Dave, I and no doubt others will take a picture of the box in it's full glory.

Noel

Back