Help in Holland?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello good people of UK Workshop. I need some help and I guess this should be a good place to start?

Just over a year ago my father, a keen turner, died suddenly. Now I have had the chance to get my act together I am left with the eternal regret that I didn't pay enough attention to how half of his kit worked and how I can use it (girls seemed more important at the time :roll:
As you can imagine it's not so easy for me to find help here in Holland and wondered if anyone on here could help me work out these damn chucks? I don't have the model numbers here with me but can get back to you if anyone is interested.

There are a number of other bits I could use help with too if you good people have the time? Things such as biscuit jointing jigs don't seem to make much sense as well as the joint (dove and box) jig for a router.
My Dad even built some sort of home made, offset, lathe which must be good for something?

I am keen to continue to use the tools dear Dad loved so much but need a little help getting started with some of the gadgets!

Thanks for your support,

Mick

Hi Mick

Welcome to the forum, I can sympathise with you losing your father.

I've moved your post to the section for turners as I thought it would be a good idea to start here.

What is the model of lathe, chucks and tools that you have?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the quick response and the sympathy. Very much appreciated. I miss him a great deal and I'm determined to use all the tools. I have always worked well with wood but didn't have the interest Dad had. Now I'm a bit older I guess my tastes in leisure are changing and I find time in the shed really relaxing. LAst week i built a scale windmill, bird feeders, planters and so on but I cant touch the old mans skill yet!

The workshop is 3x4 and houses the lathe, bench drill, bandsaw (Inca Euro 260), sander, thicknesser/planer and a host of other tools like routers, router tables,grindstone etc I cant fit the bench saw and vacuum in at the moment but I hope that will change this summer (sorry I dont mean to brag but I'm looking for help).

To be honest the idea to post on the forum was a bit hasty as I am at work right now and my workshop is at home. I simply cant remember what the names and models are right now. I'll send the link home and post them up later today.

Can I post pictures of the other stuff I have no clue about in the hope someone can identify them? If so is there a better place?

Cheers,

Mick

A good start would be a basic book teaching woodwork and picking a very simple project to start on.

Don't try to run before you can walk

Hello and welcome to the forums. Using your fathers tools will be, I'm sure, a fitting tribute.

The main thing to get us started is some photos. I include a link below on how to do it.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1991

If you need any help, just PM (personal message) me, and I'll help you through the message links process - it's a lot easier than it looks.

Adam

Hi Guys,

OK I'll get the pictures on tonight. Dont worry Adam I'm well used to uploading pictures etc and should have no bother. I just wondered if there was a thread where pictures of such would be better placed than in the turners section. I guess you answered that and I'll post them here.

Thanks again,

Mick

Hi Duiker,

welcome to the forum.

As far as woodturning is concerned, maybe the best thing to do is join Radius, (= the Dutch version of the AWGB).
I think even before joining you could contact the leader of the local group of Radius, which IIRC in your case would be the Haarlemmermeer. The leader of this group (from the 1st of january) is Henk Smit, phone 071 402 43 65.
The first meeting of the group is jan 21st.

See you there.

Hans

Hi Hans,

Great stuff! I'll give him a call and perhaps come along! I knew there would be turners here of course but its still easier for me to ask in English despite being able to speak Dutch (maar mijn schrijven Nederlands is vreeselijk hoor)!

Thanks again,

Mick

again commiserations on your fathers death, but on a side note , congrates on taking over his little workshop. :wink:
If you need more help on stuff get in touch with me, or pop in
due warning notice required, as I might not be there :wink:
I'm still based in Amsterdam so feel free to get in touch via here.

All the best from a warm and sunny La Palma. :)

What a great site this turned out to be!!!
I came looking for help from the guys in the UK and end up finding help right here on my doorstep!!
Thanks everyone for your time and wait out on the pics :lol:

I'm going to try the link now:
Duiker-bits1.jpg

Hi Duiker
Welcome to the forums,
I've had a quick look at your pictures and one of your chucks (third picture the one on its own) looks similar to mine. I think its a Precision combination Craft Supplies search there site for details. If you don't have much luck let me know and I'll try to find the intsructions for mine and scan them for you. Some of the items in the first picture look like various accessories for the chuck I can see some expanding dovetail collets and the three way split ring as well as the pin chuck.
The other chucks I'm not sure of but both look like they have spigot jaws, a quick search of the forum will give you plenty of info on how these work.
The lathe I think is a Myford Mystro can't be sure or tell you much more but hopefully someone else will help or correct me
One thing for sure you have some good quality equipment and it should serve you well.

cd

Duiker":1dcovpuv said:
Oh and the last picture is of the planer which I have no idea about!!

Duiker-kity.jpg

This machine can be the most dangerous unless you perform a strict and proper practice to avoid injury.

devonwoody":33jlhri9 said:
Duiker":33jlhri9 said:
Oh and the last picture is of the planer which I have no idea about!!

Duiker-kity.jpg

This machine can be the most dangerous unless you perform a strict and proper practice to avoid injury.
You might find this link helpful then.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Mick.

Cheers, Alf

Back