Help ID'ing Stanley 9 1/2 Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a secondhand Stanley 9 1/2 Block Plane.

After dismantling and soaking all the parts in Evaporust for 15 hours, I cleaned everything in hot soapy water and used a wire brush and my Dremel to remove all the paint and grime.

It is now awaiting a new coat of paint :)

I realise that it is not an "oldie" but was hoping that someone might know what type it is and the year of manufacture.

Stanley9.5BP.jpg

Attachments

• Stanley9.5BP.jpg
    Stanley9.5BP.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 292
This thread of mine (OMG from three years ago!) might or might not provide some enlightenment: stanley-9-1-2-made-in-england-dating-t97848.html

The problem with the block planes is there are few absolute dating characteristics so you often have to go with a best guess. As I think was mentioned before the actual date of manufacture is only really of academic interest anyway (once the tool is already bought).

These are super little planes if made right and can be surprisingly versatile. Your one looks in good solid condition, that's the main thing as long as your iron is bedded properly.

ED65, Many thanks for your comments and feedback.

After squaring and sharpening the blade, I now have one beautiful handling Block Plane.

This one is a Keeper :D

Back