Help identifying wood species

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is French Oak, bought from a reputable supplier, not dissimilar to the pictures in Jimromar's post.
Pale French Oak.jpg

Attachments

• Pale French Oak.jpg
    Pale French Oak.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 80
Just a reminder of what Oak looks like:

white-oak-sealed.jpg

white-oak-endgrain1.jpg

And here's Ash for a comparison:

european-ash-sealed-s.jpg

european-ash-endgrain-s.jpg

I work with a lot of both, I can tell you with utmost certainty it is not Oak.

Those are darkish samples of oak. It can be a lot lighter, which causes the confusion.
They say - if you are not sure whether it is ash or oak then it's probably chestnut!

Jacob":5h23vh71 said:
Those are darkish samples of oak. It can be a lot lighter, which causes the confusion.
They say - if you are not sure whether it is ash or oak then it's probably chestnut!

No matter what colour the oak is, you'll be able to see the medullary rays speckled in the end grain which are not present in the pieces shown.

Plus as phil.p said, Chestnut would've marked when wet steel file was left on top of it the same as oak does because of the tannin content. Ash doesn't do this.

Jacob":b4p1vdps said:
The point that us who are of sound mind are trying to make is that there isn't a case of 'not sure' - we are all positive that it is Ash!

From the limited photos I'd say it looks like Ash too, though ash does have a very strong distinctive smell when cut, sweet/sour smell.

I'd also never use ash for external joinery, it won't last 5 minutes and will go horrible black colour when weathered.

for sure this is Ash, I've worked with lighter oak and oak sapwood, there is a difference.

Back