Help identifying wood please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been given some blocks of wood but unsure what it is, any ideas?

Also thoughts on the suitability for use as a children’s toy would be great (just want to know it’s not massively toxic or anything!)

Attachments

• C2E484B7-4C77-4012-BD12-907BBE0C039B.jpeg
    C2E484B7-4C77-4012-BD12-907BBE0C039B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 172
  • 6DF5BA70-CD28-4584-B75D-A82DD2F38EEA.jpeg
    6DF5BA70-CD28-4584-B75D-A82DD2F38EEA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
I think that’s Greenheart, pretty common stuff the see used as sea barriers and other stuff in contact with sea water.

Looks like American black walnut to me????

Which if it is then it's a lovely wood. Smells nice easy to work. And finishes beautifully. Be careful as it's quite soft.

Adidat

I was looking at the photos on my phone earlier which didn't give the best clarity, to be honest.

I'm not 100% certain whether it's Greenheart or Walnut, the face grain does look a bit like Walnut but the end grain doesn't particularly look like it to me. If it's got a greenish hue to the timber that's a tell-tale sign of Greenheart, but some pieces can be completely brown in colour.

Or as Phil said, you could try dunking it in a bucket of water and if it's extremely buoyant it's probably Walnut, if it sinks or only just about floats it's probably Greenheart.

You will soon know when you try & run a plane across it, Greenheart is hellish hard, rather like trying to plane cast iron!

Back