Help Identifying Grandfathers Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMayoh

Reaction score
Hi all, im new to the forum so bear with me if this is in the wrong place.

My grandfather recently passed away, and after searching through his vast amount of tools (he was a boat builder by trade) i found something very interesting. Amongst the snap on and tengs mechanics tools i found an old joinery box filled with old planes and chisels. I thought nothing of this until a few weeks after his death. Our relative came round asking about an old joinery box in the garage, apparently something in it was quiet valuable. I currently have it with me here and alls i can make out on it is "L.Tong" on the handle and "otson & Co sheffield" on the blade. further research has led me to believe its Ibbotson. I think its a bullnose plane or infill but i haven't seen another one like it on any auction sites. If anyone has any info on the age, rarity and value of this item it would be greatly appreciated. Im guessing its 1800's as ibboston was taken over? any info would be brill, thank youu! :D

Please go to photobucket and search for mrmayoh for pictures theres 2 on there Thank you

I think the images you are trying to post are....

IMAG0060.jpg

and

IMAG0059.jpg

This is a brass or gunmetal bullnose plane of the mid to late 1800s and is very sought after.

Thos. Ibbotson was taken over by Marples in 1905 so it's earlier than that and the iron certainly looks original......as does the beautiful rosewood or ebony (not sure from the picture) wedge.

Is there a name on the body at all? At the front?

They come up quite often on FleaBay but do vary in value depending on condition and rarity or popularity of make....here is a similar one...

Gunmetal Bullnose Plane on FleaBay

...and another

Scottish Gunmetal Bullnose Plane

...oh...and a very similar other...

Similar Scottish Gunmetal Bullnose Plane on FleaBay

So they do turn up occasionally! :wink:

Jim

Thank you for the quick reply! I had an feeling it was 1800s, took me agess to identify the name on it. there is only one other marking which is on the handle, Something tong i think cant make out the rest. Do you have any idea on value? thank you again

As Jim said, they are quite plentiful and come in lots of sizes and shapes by many manufacturers - some even homemade.
Modern users prefer new ones which are precision planes and cost a lot.

Sorry - probably £5 -£10 on fleabay, at an estimate.

MrMayoh":nmjrxy7d said:
Thank you for the quick reply! I had an feeling it was 1800s, took me agess to identify the name on it. there is only one other marking which is on the handle, Something tong i think cant make out the rest. Do you have any idea on value? thank you again

If the maker cannot be verified it becomes a "no name" plane...even if it was made by a noted maker. I would guess at around £50-80 depending on condition then.

If it has Norris on it...or Slater or Preston then the value goes up a bit. Gunmetal is better than brass is better than steel so you have the best. Ebony and Rosewood infills and wedges are the top class...beech and mahogany or other hardwoods less so.

If it is a famous make the price depends then on rarity and condition. About the £300 on average I would guess...although I wouldn't pay that much just for the name.

Hope this helps

Jim

Argus":adwr51hn said:

As Jim said, they are quite plentiful and come in lots of sizes and shapes by many manufacturers - some even homemade.
Modern users prefer new ones which are precision planes and cost a lot.

Sorry - probably £5 -£10 on fleabay, at an estimate.

I have seen gunmetal ones go for a higher price Argus but you may be right given the condition...I would say more though.

Jim

This is a steel one I made from a very old casting...

DSC_0186.JPG

A bit of a break from tradition with boxwood wedge but I think it goes better with steel.

The shape is fairly standard from that period.

Jim

Back