Help identifying fixing please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonB

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
These fixings are from a bed, it was taken apart and put into storage. The movers put the screws back in for safekeeping but it seems like they overdid it and now when I remove the screw the whole fixing comes out. I have tried WD40, and might try a little heat next, but if I can't get the screws out I will have to try to find a replacement, but I don't know what these types of fixings are called, if anything. If anyone can suggest what I might look for to narrow my internet search a little I'd really appreciate it. Or if you have a suggestion about how I might get the screw out. The photo shows removed screw and the whole fixing with screw stuck. Many thanks

IMAG0099.jpg

They are called threaded inserts and I think Screwfix do them. They may not be as long as the ones in your pic, though. The coarse thread bites into the wood, leaving a nice metal threaded hole for a machine screw.

You should be able to get them apart. If you take the whole thing out, can you grip the insert with pliers whilst you unscrew the screw? If you damage the thread a wee bit I bet it will still go back in.

S

Thanks Steve, that will help if I have to go looking for replacements.

I have had a go using pliers but have been wary of damaging the thread, but as you say it is quite coarse and would probably bear a little damage. I have them soaking up some WD40 at the moment so will try again.

Andrewf":10j2o835 said:
Screwfix definitely do them, brought a load this week. The bolt comes in a selection of lengths.

Thanks also Andrew, looks like Screwfix is the place to try.

Fixed - seems the technique, which was probably obvious, is to hold lengthwise in the pliers, the thread bites into the grooves of the plier's jaws and then locks, and without doing much damage at all.

Latest posts

Back