Help identifying Chuck bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I was given a Record Power CL3 recently along with a box of bits. I’m sorting through the Chuck bits first and have matched up most bits but there’s a few things I can’t work out....

I have an Axminster 4 jaw Chuck with 3 sets of jaws, inner, outer and some with dovetail type jaws. I’ve found a face plate and a screw thread mount that fits these jaws.

I also have various centres.

These are the bits I can’t quite fit together.
560AFD89-C37C-4B42-9C81-5782FB908950.jpeg

53E3755A-7027-4883-9600-2D52BB12DF5A.jpeg

After much fiddling I have manage to make what looks like another collar faceplate mount.

09C5A2AA-98B7-4595-9F27-6D84EC36F5CE.jpeg

95C07F91-99AB-486B-9F3C-FDCB7BFD1707.jpeg

but I cannot work out what to do with the other bits? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 14CCD590-B212-425A-B4D3-9A51CDD76719.jpeg
    14CCD590-B212-425A-B4D3-9A51CDD76719.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
As a non woodturner I can't help with your query but can't avoid a titter over the "bowel chuck" !!
Sorry, realised that I’d put collar rather than faceplate so edited before I saw your comment, so don’t worry you’re not going mad there was a bowel Chuck...

Someone on here has a manual for that chuck.
From memory - with the knurled ring face down place 3 jaws inside. Place a suitable elastic band (yes really) in the groove at the base of the jaws. Add the taper piece, narrow end first then the chuck base. Invert & tighten the knurled ring.

The second photo are pin jaw chucks. There should be two metal pins which sit in the cut outs. When it is pushed into a suitably sized hole in the work piece then twisted, the pins roll in the grooves & get trapped on the side of the hole & give a pressure fit. Don't reverse the lathe or it will come loose.

The larger ring is probably just a face plate.

The 4 jaw chuck on the tea towel looks to be the renowned Axminster Precision chuck. Both the jaws & the carriers (the toothed bits that the jaws are attached to) are numbered but it is the carriers which need to be mounted in the order 1,2,3,4. If the jaw & carrier numbers differ it makes sense to swap them so they are the same.
The metal piece on the tea towel is nothing I recognise from the photo

Hi Looks like a Record RP3000 chuck which uses an elastic band to hold components together while assembling the chuck for use.
Google and should find photos etc
If I'm looking at the right piece of metal - curved with a peg - its used to tighten/remove the chuck from the spindle.
I had one years past - didn't like it at all, did when I started but life became much easier with a scroll chuck
good luck with the cl3 lathe solid cant go wrong

Thanks for the replies, searching for RP3000 has found a few pictures which has helped. What it has confirmed is that they offer no advantage over the Axminster 4 jaw Chuck so I’ll clean that up and get it mounted.

Thanks for that post but the Sorby pdf that can be downloaded is somewhat different to the bits I have. The other links now seem broken...

Latest posts

Back