Help identifying bronze (age) plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteBowen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Can anyone identify / date this plane please. It belonged to wife's grandfather and possibly great-grandfather - both of their names appear to be engraved on the side.

It's the size of a Stanley No 4. The body is bronze or brass.

It's got PROV PAT cast in behind the frog - between the frog and the tote. There is a word across the front but it's partially obscured by the front handle (knob). It appears to be UN ... ID

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Looks like a GTL smoother going by the shape of the adjuster knob and the frog, but I haven't seen one that also has a lateral adjuster. Maybe an early model.

My mum said if you cant say summat nice stick it on ebay before any one notices and sleep well because you too bought it in confidence..... :wink: Of course with the family connection you will keep it!

Yes, I agree it's a GTL (Guaranteed Tools Limited). They sold sets of tools on hire purchase terms in the 1930s, mostly to diy householders. I've never used one but they are commonly reported to be not very good for actually planing wood. At least the iron in yours has seen some use!

Thanks.

The iron is by Record so I guess it's aftermarket. I sharpened it so it could once again feel the caress of wood against it's brass cheek. I'll give it a proper go today.

No, it's not GTL. It's a UNI-OID smoother (GTL clone). There's one on THAT site asking £60 which is way, way, too much. But I suppose it might be of interest to GTL &etc fans. Which I'm not.

That makes sense and matches the name on the casting. I'm not going to sell it, it's a part of the family history even if they don't yet appreciate it. It's currently on the mantlepiece but wifey has raised her eyebrows so it'll need to go back to the man-cave soon.

GTL were not any sort of manufacturer - they bought in tools from a variety of suppliers and sold them in kits. So it's not surprising to see a different name on this plane. I don't think that makes it any more or less valuable - at least, it wouldn't to me, if I was buying.
But it's always nice to hang on to something with a bit of family history attached to it.

Back