Help identify an old saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVM64

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wonder if anyone can give me some information regarding the attached saw ie make and type of saw.

I am also keen to restore it, but cant seem to remove the handle. So any advice on how to achieve this without messing it up, and where to get a new saw handle, would be much appreciated.

Regards

AVM64

Attachments

• saw 1.jpg
    saw 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
  • saw 2.jpg
    saw 2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 0
Its a tenon saw with a steel back. I am not sure of the maker and have not seen the spanner trade mark before. Does the medallion on the handle have any name on it? Going by the style of it it could be pre WW2.
Regards
John

Do not try to remove the handle. That type of saw screw does not respond to being adjusted, most likely to strip or break the threads, and be unusable.
The "Warrented Superior" stamp usually means it is a second grade of saw. Perfectly good, just not sold as a premium tools. The rest of the stamp could just be a retailers mark, rather than manufacturers.
Emery Cloth/ wire wool the majority of the rust off, resharpen, and try, before doing any setting.
you could have a very nice tool there.

Bod

Hi Bod,

Brilliant - thanks for getting back to me. I will do as you suggest and see how I get on.

Many thanks

AVM

Its a tenon saw with a steel back. I am not sure of the maker and have not seen the spanner trade mark before. Does the medallion on the handle have any name on it? Going by the style of it it could be pre WW2.
Regards
John
Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me - no name on the medallion but I am going to have a go at cleaning in up and hopefully using it.

All the best

AVM

Crownshaw Chapman & Co. Made saws from 1870s to well into the 1900s. Barley's reference book says your style of spine stamp dates to c1880

Hi Kwigly,

Many thanks for getting back to me - that's unbelievable. Certainly going to make sure I look after it and get it back to working order.

Thanks for that

AVM

Latest posts

Back