Help!! HOw do I get these scratch marks out of Sycamore??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, if your short on time you could thin out some varnish maybe, make it real thin like water.
If your anywhere near M6 J16 I could sort you out...

Bemused":b066zoyq said:
David, if your short on time you could thin out some varnish maybe, make it real thin like water.
If your anywhere near M6 J16 I could sort you out...

Thanks for the offer but I don't think that ca be done in the times scales I have. It'sa tempting offer though , thanks.

I'll see what time remains after i ve packed my things to go off to my folks....themachines aren't running Xmas eve so I'll see what's possible .

I ve mentally pretty much written off the idea of giving to my Mum as a finished product.....I'll have to have it back again. I always said I wasn't going to "turn" with the clock against me ; also, for some reason, my back i's giving my back some gip. I don't know why, just standing awkwardly I suppose.

Thanks again....I ve got a ot of good hints+ideas to go at.

#-o

I'm not speaking from experience but I can't see how it would affect lathe bearings anymore than someone just sanding by hand.

From what I've read a sanding sealer is used before sanding. I believe the sanding sealer stops your finish from being absorbed into the wood through the grain by blocking the pores, maybe thats why the chap told you about that usage?

*Edit: I didn't realise there was a second page of advice :)

A small battery powered drill used with sanding discs has the advantage of being more easily controlled for spot work (lathe stationary) on difficult areas and has a far smaller dust distribution footprint than higher speed devices.

Good idea. :idea:

I ve got a bosch one whih will be less severe than mains.

L2wis":27f9u9mq said:
I'm not speaking from experience but I can't see how it would affect lathe bearings anymore than someone just sanding by hand.

From what I've read a sanding sealer is used before sanding. I believe the sanding sealer stops your finish from being absorbed into the wood through the grain by blocking the pores, maybe thats why the chap told you about that usage?

I'm not sure, he seemed perplexed about the idea of using it as suggested here, insisting it was used AFTER sanding.

:?

I think the argument over the bearings is not a very valid one as you say. If you were going to put alot of pressure on maybe.

Well, i ve been thinking over this whislt doing my "nights".....I'm going to grab some sleep now (7.45am just got in) ......sort out my sand paper thats arrived and see whether the situation can be improved at all.

Davidf":1xferji0 said:
L2wis":1xferji0 said:

I'm not sure, he seemed perplexed about the idea of using it as suggested here, insisting it was used AFTER sanding.

I think the argument over the bearings is not a very valid one as you say. If you were going to put alot of pressure on maybe.

Well, i ve been thinking over this whislt doing my "nights".....I'm going to grab some sleep now (7.45am just got in) ......sort out my sand paper thats arrived and see whether the situation can be improved at all.

whilst it's been said before in the thread, sanding sealer is primarily used after final sanding, then de-nibbed and chosen finish applied.

it is however extremely useful to harden soft woods, or wood fibres, prior to sanding...

you really shouldn't be using any pressure when sanding on a lathe - you want the paper cutting, you don't want it clogging or building up heat - both of which are more likely as pressure increases. equally lathes should be on a slow speed for sanding.

fresh/new abrasives will of course work so much better (ie properly), just as any freshly sharpenned tools!

jumps":3id9thh9 said:
Davidf":3id9thh9 said:
L2wis":3id9thh9 said:

whilst it's been said before in the thread, sanding sealer is primarily used after final sanding, then de-nibbed and chosen finish applied.

it is however extremely useful to harden soft woods, or wood fibres, prior to sanding...

you really shouldn't be using any pressure when sanding on a lathe - you want the paper cutting, you don't want it clogging or building up heat - both of which are more likely as pressure increases. equally lathes should be on a slow speed for sanding.

fresh/new abrasives will of course work so much better (ie properly), just as any freshly sharpenned tools!

The signs are improving considerably, thankyou very much, everybody.

I'm not looking for perfection but's certainly seems to be coming on rather better.

:ho2

jumps":287iiani said:
Davidf":287iiani said:
L2wis":287iiani said:

DSCN0015.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0015.jpg
    DSCN0015.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 559

Latest posts

Back