Help finding architrave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I live near Newton Abbot and looking for 100mm to 125mm bullnose /pencil round architrave 16mm thick all they seem to have at woodyards is double profile bull nose /chamfer i want to use it to create door frame recess on inner frame dont like 50mmx16mm planted in middle of frame looks like door should be fitted to inner or outer of rooms any help would be most grateful even 16 mm x100mm PAR and profile my own any woodyards nearby with this material

This is the style of framing i dont like
20220425_220045.jpg
20220425_220021.jpg

Don't forget that unless you move the architrave (if already in place) you'll have a greater margin on that side of the frame.
Cheers Andy

Don't forget that unless you move the architrave (if already in place) you'll have a greater margin on that side of the frame.
Cheers Andy
Thanks toolsntat all the architrave on both sides will be removed for striping and then re planted and the outer frame being made smaller the archy can ce trimmed to suit

I doubt you’ll get those dimensions pre-milled from a builders merchant. If you can’t make it yourself why not approach a local joinery to make you some. I’d offer but you are a long way away.

This is what im trying to achieve material availablity permitting
20220426_100518.jpg
20220426_100518.jpg

I doubt you’ll get those dimensions pre-milled from a builders merchant. If you can’t make it yourself why not approach a local joinery to make you some. I’d offer but you are a long way away.

Thanks but i have all the machines my self just didnt want to start resawing 40x 100 then planing in Manchester i could buy this size readily from most woodyards just dont seem to sell it down here , Theres too much waste making my own and as we have only just moved to this house my workshop is not rebuilt yet most machines still packaged up

Phone southern timber and ask what pine bullnose sizes they stock. Make sure you specify finish size, not ex. I.e finish size 15 x 95 is likely what theyll have, but ex would be 18 x 100 or something.
They are in ipplepen, a few minutes outside Newton

100x16 is not a PAR size. You will probably have to buy something close and thickness it. The closest builders merchants will typically have to that in PAR is Ex 100x25 (finishes 94x20.5) or the next size up Ex 125x25. Many stockists have these widths thicknessed down to 18mm.

Softwood skirting is often the same as the Square PAR size with one moulded edge. Some merchants have this thicknessed down to 15/16mm in bullnose but not quite as wide as you are after. At least not in my experience.

MDF bullnosed skirting is commonly found in 95x15 and 120x15 but I doubt you want to use this.

EDIT- sorry what I have said is a bit superfluous as me and Kev above were writing pretty much the same thing at the same time and he beat me by a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Phone southern timber and ask what pine bullnose sizes they stock. Make sure you specify finish size, not ex. I.e finish size 15 x 95 is likely what theyll have, but ex would be 18 x 100 or something.
They are in ipplepen, a few minutes outside Newton
Thanks Kev you did give me southern timber some time ago its the only one i havent tried yet local so im going to have a run over there to see what they have for stock items for a few jobs i have planed

100x16 is not a PAR size. You will probably have to buy something close and thickness it. The closest builders merchants will typically have to that in PAR is Ex 100x25 (finishes 94x20.5) or the next size up Ex 125x25. Many stockists have these widths thicknessed down to 18mm.

Softwood skirting is often the same as the Square PAR size with one moulded edge. Some merchants have this thicknessed down to 15/16mm in bullnose but not quite as wide as you are after. At least not in my experience.

MDF bullnosed skirting is commonly found in 95x15 and 120x15 but I doubt you want to use this.

EDIT- sorry what I have said is a bit superfluous as me and Kev above were writing pretty much the same thing at the same time and he beat me by a couple of minutes.
G HILL TIMBER Manchester i used to buy 16x100 par and they also stocked 16x50 up to 16x125 pencil round as we called it there also 16x 50 to 125 PR at Illingworth and Ingram ( Trafford Tinber) admitted not all timberyards atround there sold this stock but both these yards had there own machine shops not third party suppliers

Oh well. Unfortunately we live in the age of mass production. On both their website they now list the same PAR sizes as everyone else; ex 100x25, ex 125x25 etc. Just as well there are guys like us around who can mill our own stock.

If you haven’t found anything 100x16 yet you could try the widest size TG&V cladding that Travis Perkins sometimes carry; it is only in the larger of their two yards round here. It is a traditional size; ex the old 5”x3/4”. It finishes near to the thickness that you want and you may get 100mm across the back flat face once you cut the tongue and grooves off. It is not as common though as the ex 4”x3/4”. Good luck

G HILL TIMBER Manchester i used to buy 16x100 par and they also stocked 16x50 up to 16x125 pencil round as we called it there also 16x 50 to 125 PR at Illingworth and Ingram ( Trafford Tinber) admitted not all timberyards atround there sold this stock but both these yards had there own machine shops not third party suppliers
Actually i just thought, i recently had 19 x 75 pencil round from jewsons. Its listed as the ex size, so it was actually more like 15 /16mm x 70mm

Oh well. Unfortunately we live in the age of mass production. On both their website they now list the same PAR sizes as everyone else; ex 100x25, ex 125x25 etc. Just as well there are guys like us around who can mill our own stock.

If you haven’t found anything 100x16 yet you could try the widest size TG&V cladding that Travis Perkins sometimes carry; it is only in the larger of their two yards round here. It is a traditional size; ex the old 5”x3/4”. It finishes near to the thickness that you want and you may get 100mm across the back flat face once you cut the tongue and grooves off. It is not as common though as the ex 4”x3/4”. Good luck
Had the same idea of cladding pitty so much waste and cost of the machining that would go to waste hence my post , As for your info of stock in the old firms i retired 5 years ago what a difference that time as had on materials,costs and availability thank goodness when i have finished re furb of new house i will be making miniatures so all materials will be under my control

Not got to Southern Timber at Ipplepen yet but was in B&Q at torquay today chasing a shower unit so thought I would check out the timber section and low and behold 2.4 mts of 92mmx15mm only draw back £11 49 each so 1 doorway would cost around £26 and acouple of 18" of cuts of no use left plus enough left of one piece to do a second header

Why not do it at 18mm ?
As long as there is room for the door furniture you have the added bonus of increasing fire resistance.
Cheers Andy

Back