Help finding a tool 'tote' bag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As it says in the title, I am looking to purchase an open tote tool bag to use in work. Firstly my reason for wanting an open tote bag is because I don't have many tools so a box would be a waste (of space and money).

Now I like the look of the stanley fat max bags however I don't really want to pay £40+ for one which is what B&Q want! Although I have seen them on ebay for £30 which is still a bit steep IMO!

The other option is the stanley bag that is on offer in b&q for £20, this is just as big as the fat max but does not seem to be as heavy duty which is what is putting me off!

Now I have also seen the dewalt equivalent in my local independent hardware shop for £20, this looks nice and has some padded pockets etc however the issue that I have is that I feel like I could be getting a better deal on all of these bags, I just have no idea as to where to look apart from ebay!

Are there any decent sites that offer these sort of bags for reasonable prices?

Thanks for looking!

I got one some years ago from the army and navy store , quite big and made of canvas , you get a choice of colours as well

And colour you like as long as its green :D

I have the Dewalt one very good bag, well made and sturdy (£20 from b&q a while back) the only problem with all the open totes is you soon end up carrying shavings around with you everywhere you go.

What do you do for work and what tools do you carry? some times you can get away with a cheaper bag or other times you need something a bit more expensive. I cant get away with fabric bottomed bags where I work (dirty/muddy/wet/sharp) they dont last long so I have to get the hard plastic bottomed ones which tend to be more expensive but well made.

Forgot to add...

You can get a 'bag' that fits on/in a 5 gallon bucket (check ebay for different brands/prices) that gives you multiple pockets etc - might be useful.

Jacob":20qbpqdz said:
Gardener's tubs are handy. Bendy so you carry them like a shopping bag. Dead cheap but tough. Lidl do them.

I have one in the workshop for offcuts. Very handy. I've seen other trades pull up to a job with several loaded in the back of the van. Each containing tools for specific jobs.

why not make your own, very easy to make.

and with a little thought and clever design you can make one perfectly suited to yourself

adidat

hi

=adam= in my experience all tote bags tool boxes ect are a waste of money......and trust me over the years ive tried all sorts,
the bottoms crack or the clips fall of plastic boxes. The tote bags end up looking very tatty and scruffy after about 12 months i had a stanley one.

In the end i decided (being quite a traditionalist) to make my own tool tote. bit of 1/2" ply and a piece of hard wood for your handle and there u have it. Took me about half an hour to make in works time, i " borrowed" the materials off work also. So it cost absolutley nothing. On one end of the inside of the box it has a upstand with slots cut in to stand my chisels, screwdrivers and over things i need to access quickly, down the length i have a section for holding saws make sure your box will fit a 22" handsaw inside it. Then i decorated it with the BWF and Guild of Master Craftsmen stickers. (these were supposed to be for the van)

It is far better than any bought one and holds alot more.

The best thing about a tote is i keep my tools in the bench and when im going fitting it only takes a minute to load up.

Hope ive not bored you too much.

---------How can i sore with the eagles when im stuck with the turkeys--------------

after a quick google

IMG_7945.jpg

the simple version

ToolTote005.jpg

or this...

adidat

adidat":22rx45r9 said:
why not make your own, very easy to make.

and with a little thought and clever design you can make one perfectly suited to yourself

adidat

That reminds me of the apprentice carpenter I use to work with. He made a Tote at college and when he took it out on site the other guys emptied the tools out and screwed it down to the floor, put the tools back in and cut through the handle when he'd popped off to the toilet. I'm sure you can guess what happened next!!

Makes me laugh to this day.

Thanks for the replies guys!

With regards to my personal tools, I currently have very little as I have no where to store them so I basically borrow everyone else's as and when is required, I dont like doing this because I feel that I am taking advantage (although I have spoken to everyone and they do not mind as I look after the tools and help out whenever they need a pair of extra hands).

I currently own:

5 chisels (boot sale's finest)
1 bradawl
1 magnetic bit holder
2 home made mallets
1 hammer with no handle (a project for me)

However I plan to purchase the following along with my tool bag:

- carpenters square 150mm
- combination square
- finger saver bit holders
- a box of dewalt pz2 bits
- nail punches
- scissors

That should give me a kit which comprises of everything that I would use daily.

With regards to making my own tote, I have thought about this and I agree that it would be the most cost effective, the only criticism that I have is that a wooden box would be an unnecessarily heavy as compared to a fabric/plastic tote. Plus I know some wise a** would screw it/glue it to a bench!

Adam,

Weight shouldn't really be an issue, unless you've got to carry it across a mile of ploughed fields.
After you've had it a while you'll find that what's in it will totally outweigh the tote itself. DAMHIKT! :shock:

Knock one together with a few bits of 3/8" and 1/2" ply - bags are bleedin' awful to get the rubbish out of the bottom.

If it gets screwed to a bench by your so-called "mates", just make another one and bide your time for an opportunity for revenge. :mrgreen:

Tony Speaker":8yutq2v8 said:
If it gets screwed to a bench by your so-called "mates", just make another one and bide your time for an opportunity for revenge. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol

adidat":1pnsfeow said:
after a quick google

IMG_7945.jpg

the simple version

IIRC that was one of the guys who posts on woodcentral - the handle is bent because he fancied a go at bending (I think he had another bending project lined up, so this was practice).

BugBear

The cheapest tool carrier I know of is, look in the usual building site skips and haul out one of those huge emulsion paint tubs, with lid preferably. Spend a happy ten minutes peeling the dried paint off from inside, and then with a felt pen write your name on said tub, plus any dire threats and curses you may wish to issue to those who touch its contents. When it breaks return to suitable skip and find another.

G

Wabout 10 years ago I was given, yep given a tote bag by a Dewalt rep, it has been used and abused since then,
its still good for I hope another 10 years, just looks dirty. Handles and pockets are still in good order.
I will post a pic later for you,

hth,
Karl

Hi,

I bought a Dickies one from their Ebay shop a few years ago it was only £8 or so and its very good but I can't find it listed now.

Pete

Latest posts

Back