Help dividing wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you not fill the voids with resin when you have something like this that may not turn if left as is? I am fairly new to woodworking having taken a break after school for about 40 odd years so not sure what people generally do but on bits that had a lot of voids I filled with resin before working on them (not on a wood lathe) but would;d probably do the same thing if turning.
I do also need to get my head round the fact that a lot of people are like me & will see the beauty in this rather than see it as a fault lol

I'm new to woodturning but have spent the last few years watching every YouTube video I can find and as you say resin is very popular, it is the route I would like to take but first I want to dry the piece out a little and remove as much of the dirt and ivy roots as possible, there's no rush as at the minute I don't have a chuck or drive centre, only a face plate, I also only have a bowl gouge and skew, so lots of tools to obtain before I tackle these two pieces.

I'm a big fan of the natural edged bowls, if you haven't already take a look on YouTube at the Rebel Turner, he is amazing with a lathe.

I'm new to woodturning but have spent the last few years watching every YouTube video I can find and as you say resin is very popular, it is the route I would like to take but first I want to dry the piece out a little and remove as much of the dirt and ivy roots as possible, there's no rush as at the minute I don't have a chuck or drive centre, only a face plate, I also only have a bowl gouge and skew, so lots of tools to obtain before I tackle these two pieces.

I'm a big fan of the natural edged bowls, if you haven't already take a look on YouTube at the Rebel Turner, he is amazing with a lathe.

Yep definitely want to dry them out first, water & resin don't really mix lol

Back