Help Choosing A Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCK

Reaction score
Hi
New to wood turning and looking to buy my first chuck.
I have read loads of posts, reviews and watched utube.
Three i have been looking at that come at a reasonable price are -:
Rutlands 100 chuck kit with 6 jaws sets, faceplate ring, and woodscew part No R2528.
Charnwood nexus 3R Pack with chuck, 4 jaw sets, faceplate ring, drive centre and woodscrew.
Charnwood viper 3R Pack, same as nexus.
All are around £200 price tag.
One or two posts i have read are not happy with the Rutland after sales service but no mention of the Charnwood.
I know you get what you pay for and being an engineer i can see the quality of the Axminster and the Sorby but being a novis to woodturning will they do the job ?
Any information would be a great help
Thanks
ROCK

What lathe are you running it on?

I ask because it it has a thread other than M33, I would suggest something with either an insert or a backplate. With the insert, you need to check that you can get an M33 insert as well as the thread you need (some are direct threaded for M33 and can't take certain sized inserts). This will future proof you if you upgrade the lathe!

I would look at the versachuck, based on its reputation. I haven't used it myself. This takes a backplate and can take most jaws with the correct carriers.

Chucks with inserts, I know the vicmarc vm100 does. I have this and rate it very highly. It is probably over budget. Some others will too but I don't recall which.

One or two posts i have read are not happy with the Rutland after sales service but no mention of the Charnwood.
I'll never buy anything from Charnwood again, the products aren't the best at any price point and their idea of customer service is even worse. Record Power have a fine selection of chucks, from the newly released SC1 and SC2 chucks for smaller projects and the SC3 and SC4 . The latter two can accept the same jaws, there are smaller (both in physical size and range) for the SC1 and SC2. The SC2 and SC3 are direct fit, available in a range of sizes, including the M33x3.5 that's now standard on RP lathes (I believe!) whereas SC1 and SC4 use an adaptor with something like 16 different sized adaptors to chose from. £200 would buy either an SC1 or SC2 with a full set of available jaws and maybe even leave enough for some blanks to practice on. SC3 and SC4 available in packages including a mount (SC4), standard 2" jaws, chuck key and set of screws for mounting the jaws, Allan keys and grub screws to secure the mount in place (SC4) and/or secure chuck to lathe. SC3 can be had for £100 and SC4 for £125 (Snainton Woodworking); again leaving some change from your £200 for additional jaws.

What lathe are you running it on?

I ask because it it has a thread other than M33, I would suggest something with either an insert or a backplate. With the insert, you need to check that you can get an M33 insert as well as the thread you need (some are direct threaded for M33 and can't take certain sized inserts). This will future proof you if you upgrade the lathe!

I would look at the versachuck, based on its reputation. I haven't used it myself. This takes a backplate and can take most jaws with the correct carriers.

Chucks with inserts, I know the vicmarc vm100 does. I have this and rate it very highly. It is probably over budget. Some others will too but I don't recall which.

Hi Marcros
My lathe is a common one with different names put on it but it is 1"x 8 thread.
I was thinking same as you, getting an M33 with insert incase of upgrade.
Thanks
ROCK

at least with 1" x 8 you should have the choice of most chucks out there.

One thing that I would say is dont go wild for jaws to start with. Start with a standard set and add to them when you need to. they are too expensive to buy on the off chance that you need them.

I'll never buy anything from Charnwood again, the products aren't the best at any price point and their idea of customer service is even worse. Record Power have a fine selection of chucks, from the newly released SC1 and SC2 chucks for smaller projects and the SC3 and SC4 . The latter two can accept the same jaws, there are smaller (both in physical size and range) for the SC1 and SC2. The SC2 and SC3 are direct fit, available in a range of sizes, including the M33x3.5 that's now standard on RP lathes (I believe!) whereas SC1 and SC4 use an adaptor with something like 16 different sized adaptors to chose from. £200 would buy either an SC1 or SC2 with a full set of available jaws and maybe even leave enough for some blanks to practice on. SC3 and SC4 available in packages including a mount (SC4), standard 2" jaws, chuck key and set of screws for mounting the jaws, Allan keys and grub screws to secure the mount in place (SC4) and/or secure chuck to lathe. SC3 can be had for £100 and SC4 for £125 (Snainton Woodworking); again leaving some change from your £200 for additional jaws.
HI
I will have a look at the SC4
THANKS

HI
I will have a look at the SC4
THANKS

You're very welcome. I have the SC4 which was my first chuck so I've nothing to compare it too. I liked that it had the interchangeable mount - just in case I ever got a lathe that wasn't M33 and that the back was sealed to minimise dust. The chuck key is said to be a better design than that supplied with the SC3. I was going to buy a second SC4 because changing chucks is quicker than swapping jaws and sometimes, even in my hitherto limited turning experience, there has been times when hhaving a second set-up to turn different parts without having to remove one from the chuck would have been a huge help. I haven't yet ruled out adding another SC4 but for time being I bought one of the SC2 chucks, mainly for their 'zero' dome jaws. Not had chance to try either chuck or jaws yet as lathe is still in RP's workshop awaiting parts! Here they are side by side.
IMG_1428.JPG

Hi
Rutlands 100 chuck kit with 6 jaws sets, faceplate ring, and woodscew part No R2528.
Charnwood nexus 3R Pack with chuck, 4 jaw sets, faceplate ring, drive centre and woodscrew.
I know you get what you pay for and being an engineer i can see the quality of the Axminster and the Sorby but being a novis to woodturning will they do the job ?
Thanks
ROCK

I have an earlier version of the smaller Rutlands kit, and have been totally happy with it. AIUI, the jaws for Nova and RP chucks are also compatible with the Rutlands ones, but I haven't tried any yet, as the initial kit had everything I have wanted except maybe a bigger set of cole jaws.

I have a nova chuck, their limit is 1 1/4" X 8. The Versa chuck I also own, has many backplate thread options.
The Record SC4 would be a good choice, many inserts to choose from, including M33.
I will be buying an SC4 later this year, if I survive!

I have both a Rutlands and a Sorby (the Patriot). The Sorby works perfectly, the Rutlands has a slight wobble - so very easy for me to recommend one over the other.

Summary of woodturning scroll chucks, now somewhat outdated.
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby

Rutlands also sell their 4" chuck with standard jaws, long nose jaws, faceplate ring & woodworm screw for £129.99 -
Part No. R2520

As well as Axminster, I have a Rutlands/Record/Charnwood clone which is my go-to chuck mainly because of the hex chuck key. Those with toothed keys have to be aligned fairly precisely to engage.

Hi
Thanks
ROCK
Check out the record sc3 or sc4 fabulous bit of English engineering
comes wit a starter kit then buy what jaws you want one of the best purchases I’ve made got the sc4 you won’t be disappointed

Hi,

I have a Union Graduate lathe with 1 1/2" x 6TPI nose and opted for the Sorby Patriot chuck with just the standard set of jaws to start with but these jaws so far have done all I want. The patriot fits my lathe with a Exert.

Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck Inserts and Exerts, Robert Sorby Patriot Chucks and Jaws, Robert Sorby Woodturning, Carving, Woodworking on Westcountry Machinery 4 Wood

Patriot Chuck System

I fully agree with marcros in saying don't go mad buying extra chuck jaws unless really needed. I bought my Patriot direct from Sorby's in Sheffield collecting it but later found I could have bought it cheaper at Turners Retreat with free postage; shame on Sorby's for treating me like this.

I like the Patriot though; if I were to buy all the extras I'd need a second mortgage so until needed I'll stick with the one set of jaws it came with.

Lathe attachments often end up costing more than paid for the lathe and in the case of expensive chucks these are relatively new compared to the old methods of securing work in a lathe. I often use "jam chucks" I like these because I can make them cheaply from offcuts I have kicking around to any size; yes they do have to be made taking time but I don't mind because I like working on the lathe; here's a sample video which demonstrates alternative ways of chucking;

Kind regards, Colin.

Turning._0001.JPG

Another way of chucking small items is to use collets with a draw bar; I turn the blanks as in these finials to fit the collet at one end allowing the finial to be completed in one go.

Turning._0001_01.JPG

A quick way to achieve the correct diameter for a collet is to use a spanner as a gauge.

Turning._0001_02.JPG

My Graduate doubles up as a metal spinning lathe so here is a friction drive; the spun aluminium seen lower down.

Turning._0002.JPG

When I turn a lot of identical diameters I rig up a simple hinged bar like this seen in action; very simple to make costing nothing from offcuts but accurate; here is one of a batch of finial blanks being turned between centers and will then be finish turned in a collet.

Turning._0002_01.JPG

Two aluminium spun light reflectors using the former shown in previous picture on friction drive but I'm only adding these two metal spinning pictures just to show what can be achieved on a lathe assuming the lathe has enough power.

Turning._0003_01.JPG

Here's a wooden jam chuck being used in combination with the Patriot chuck; I'm about to withdraw the tailstock allowing the bottom to be cleanly finished. I derive a great deal of pleasure just playing on the lathe and I'm only limited by my imagination; there are often a number of ways to turn so I've added these for novices new to wood turning. I hope they are of interest.

Hi there..ex engineer here too. I have been through the same dilemma as you... I had an old Sealey 3/4 16 lathe. I chose the Rutlands 3” chuck with a kit set. It came with an insert to enable it to be used on my machine ....it was produced with 1” thread. When fixed to lathe it ran out 010”....bit of ptfe tape and I got it down to 0.005”...good enough on old machine..
I have since upgraded and got an Axminster lathe M33. I bought the RP adaptor... with 3/4*16 snout....so I could use other bits I had...the chuck now runs fine..bit of an overhang but it would depend on what your turning.
PM if you need any more info..

I bought a set of 9 Rutland jaws that were said to be compatible with Record SC4 chucks. Unfortunately, the majority were not, i.e would not attach to the jaw slides by reason of the screw holes not being deep enough or wide enough to allow the standard Record chuck screws to engage with the slides. I managed to re-drill a couple of them, but had to write the others off. They were generally crudely made. As the saying goes, ‘you get what you pay for’.
It may be that their 100 chuck and jaws are ok, but I am now very wary of Rutland products.
D.

I bought a set of 9 Rutland jaws that were said to be compatible with Record SC4 chucks. Unfortunately, the majority were not, i.e would not attach to the jaw slides by reason of the screw holes not being deep enough or wide enough to allow the standard Record chuck screws to engage with the slides. I managed to re-drill a couple of them, but had to write the others off. They were generally crudely made. As the saying goes, ‘you get what you pay for’.
It may be that their 100 chuck and jaws are ok, but I am now very wary of Rutland products.
D.

Rutland's answer: "what is a chuck?"

Back