Help buying wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am in the UK and have been looking for places to buy wood for building furniture for my home.
My local DIY stores have very poor quality wood of limited range.
I have visited many Timber suppliers only to find they sell timber for the building tradesmen only.
I cannot seem to find any Web sites that sell wood or help in buying wood in my area.
Many local sawmills only sell in bulk or to trade Co and some sell off cuts witch are of poor quality.
There seems to be endless information on working with wood and endless tool sites but next to nothing on where we can buy good timber and what we should expect to pay for timber in the UK.
Please can you help or point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.
I live in the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire area.

Thanks

Not sure about your area as I am in Surry but try south london hardwods in Croydon (slhardwoods.co.uk) they deliver but I am not sure how far. They may be able to advise you on a more local stockist however.

Good luck,

Steve (santa)

I don't know of anyone off hand in your area, but I can heartily recommend British Hardwoods for, um, hardwoods. I suggest you mosey over to #cough# UK Woodworking #cough# and have a browse through our links section, where there are a few timber suppliers listed. Or, indeed, post your query over there too.

Cheers, Jester
Jester's Court

Ooops, seems you beat me to it! :oops: Memo to self; Check you own board before here. :wink:

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know any places near you either but as the other two have suggested British Hardwoods and SouthLondon Hardwoods are good companies and I'm sure if you contact them they can do you a good deal. :)

Jester, we have a links section too you know :wink: (UKW Links Page!)

Hi, A newbie to the forum, I am in East Hertsfordshire, there is a Hardwood supplier Atken & Cripps in Bishops Stortford, Tel 01279 652121, they supply a huge range, normally to trade, but I have bought a few boards of American Oak from them before. They will quote you prices in £ per cubic foot, but they have everything.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll be following up your recommendations.
Cheers Wayne. :)

Back