Help buying quality wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I live in the Wimborne area and would like some advice on the best places to buy softwood near me for a few projects. So far i have been buying wood from Wickes which has been fine for now but i would like to find a local timber merchants for good quality and price.
As i get more adventurous with my projects i would like to start making things from hardwood.

Any help or advice welcome.

Hi, what are you looking to make and what tools do you have available?
Sometimes places like gumtree can be good sources of wood, including furniture to cut up....

Is totton timber too far?

Has a good reputation.

Must be saw mills west of you?

Cheers James

I did a search for timber merchants in my local area & then visited a few to see how helpful they were, settled on one that I felt most comfortable using, that may not have been the best way to do it but it seems to have worked OK for me so far lol
Hardwoods I am lucky enough to have a sawmill locally who have a sustainability policy in place, as I make projects of all shapes & sizes I buy slices from them & plane & thickness it myself rather than paying them to do it for me.

Hello, I live in the Wimborne area and would like some advice on the best places to buy softwood near me for a few projects. So far i have been buying wood from Wickes which has been fine for now but i would like to find a local timber merchants for good quality and price.
As i get more adventurous with my projects i would like to start making things from hardwood.

Any help or advice welcome.
What timber are you after?

I have a good source of decent planed / unplanned pine softwood I could bring some down?

Cheers James

Ive bought from Christchurch Timber and its been okay, they have a fearsome bandsaw and will slice down bigger bits for you, and whilst I didnt buy any Ive visited Linwood Timber at Three Cross and they had a good selection, best to go when we've had a few dry days!
Steve.

Hi, what are you looking to make and what tools do you have available?
Sometimes places like gumtree can be good sources of wood, including furniture to cut up....
Thanks for the reply , i have not thought about Gumtree for wood or buying furniture to cut up , i will have a look.

What timber are you after?

I have a good source of decent planed / unplanned pine softwood I could bring some down?

Cheers James
Thants for your reply James , i have had a look at Linwood saw mill website and looks like it is worth a visit to have a look what’s on offer.
Your offer of decent planed softwood sounds interesting, i am not sure what sizes i need yet as its early days with my next project , what sizes do you have available so i know for future?

Ive bought from Christchurch Timber and its been okay, they have a fearsome bandsaw and will slice down bigger bits for you, and whilst I didnt buy any Ive visited Linwood Timber at Three Cross and they had a good selection, best to go when we've had a few dry days!
Steve.
Thanks Steve , i will visit Christchurch Timber and have a look.

I did a search for timber merchants in my local area & then visited a few to see how helpful they were, settled on one that I felt most comfortable using, that may not have been the best way to do it but it seems to have worked OK for me so far lol
Hardwoods I am lucky enough to have a sawmill locally who have a sustainability policy in place, as I make projects of all shapes & sizes I buy slices from them & plane & thickness it myself rather than paying them to do it for me.
Thanks for your reply, I would like to get a thickneseer to give me that flexibility , i have limited funds at the moment but hopefully in the near future.

Thanks for your reply, I would like to get a thickneseer to give me that flexibility , i have limited funds at the moment but hopefully in the near future.
This arrived today Triton TPT125 from Screwfix Triton TPT125 317mm Electric Thicknesser 240V | Planer Thicknessers | Screwfix.com

20211014_142231.jpg

It is an excellent bit of kit. I ran a piece of reclaimed cedar through it

Before (suitably checked for nails):

20211014_141603.jpg

After - Smooth as a baby's bum (this picture really doesn't do it justice)

20211014_141614.jpg

A reasonable source of recycled timber is available from Southampton if you can get there. I have picked up several useful bits of timber here in the past at very competitive prices. Worth a look see.

https://southamptonwoodrecycling.org.uk/wood-yard/

Thants for your reply James , i have had a look at Linwood saw mill website and looks like it is worth a visit to have a look what’s on offer.
Your offer of decent planed softwood sounds interesting, i am not sure what sizes i need yet as its early days with my next project , what sizes do you have available so i know for future?
The stuff I get cheap is 5x1 6x1 6x2. They buy it by the forklift load to be machined into cladding but if I want it rough sawn I get it at the wholesale price.
I then dimension it using a no5 scrubbing plane and no5 1/2 finishing plane.

Henshaw timber is the place.

Next time I'm in verwood is the 5 Nov. But usually about 1 / month.

Cheers James

Last edited:

I don't know about down South but would imagine it is much the same as it is up here, if you can't plane & thickness the boards yourself then the sawmill will probably be able to do it for you for an extra charge. I could get them to do that for me but it would cost more & I have made a lot of pens & other small items from all the bits that I wouldn't have got if they planed & boarded it for me lol

Linus beat me to it, I’ve been lucky when I’ve visited Southampton Wood Recycling, but, it can be a bit hit and miss with stock also.
You could try East Bros saw mill in West Dean, not sure if they still ok with smaller quantities, use to be though. They do hardwoods, good larch etc.

Another sawmill to try is Yandles at Martock. I have been using them for years both on a personal level and professionally for school projects. They are really helpful and fairly priced with a wide range of timbers, both native and exotics, in a very wide range of sizes - I can lose myself in their self selection area for hours.

This arrived today Triton TPT125 from Screwfix Triton TPT125 317mm Electric Thicknesser 240V | Planer Thicknessers | Screwfix.com

View attachment 119696

It is an excellent bit of kit. I ran a piece of reclaimed cedar through it

Before (suitably checked for nails):

View attachment 119697

After - Smooth as a baby's bum (this picture really doesn't do it justice)

View attachment 119698
Thanks for the details, the results do look good and I would like to buy one but need to save up for it first, problem is there is so much I want to buy for my new small workshop in the garage.

I don't know about down South but would imagine it is much the same as it is up here, if you can't plane & thickness the boards yourself then the sawmill will probably be able to do it for you for an extra charge. I could get them to do that for me but it would cost more & I have made a lot of pens & other small items from all the bits that I wouldn't have got if they planed & boarded it for me lol
I agree with the above, that’s why it is so important for me to find a local helpful sawmill , so i can visit and see whats available.

Linus beat me to it, I’ve been lucky when I’ve visited Southampton Wood Recycling, but, it can be a bit hit and miss with stock also.
You could try East Bros saw mill in West Dean, not sure if they still ok with smaller quantities, use to be though. They do hardwoods, good larch etc.
Thanks for the reply, the website for East Bros sawmill looks really good.

Back