Help buying power tools from USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going to Florida in August and I will be taking a trip to Home Depot and Harbor Freight in order to pick up some "essentials".

I am really interested in buying a fixed base router and would like some information about converting it to work over here.

Is it just a case of getting a USA to UK adaptor, or do I need to do something different?

You need a 110v transformer and replace the plug on the tool.

I would recommend you buy a wormdrive saw too. They're wonderful things :)

I have got a 110v transformer actually :D So is it a case of just swapping it for a 110v site plug and away to go?

Yes just that change the plug to a 110v to suit transformer
and another vote for you to get a worm drive circular saw I got one last year in california whilst on a rail trip and its so nice to use so powerful and no safety features that we have in this country just pull the trigger and its off..its a bosch one it uses round hole blades and diamond shaped hole blades and was less than £100 in all

Ian

US electrical flex colours are black and white, and when you wire into a 110 plug, remember that black is live, and white neutral. US operates on a different electrical frequency than us, so you get a 5-10% reduction in the speed. An example would be a router that spins at 12,000 rpm might only get 11,000. You wont notice in practical use. +1 on the worm drive saw, and if you get one, stock up on diamond knockout blades!!

inkyblue":sg728sb3 said:
US operates on a different electrical frequency than us, so you get a 5-10% reduction in the speed. An example would be a router that spins at 12,000 rpm might only get 11,000.

That is incorrect. Universal motors as found in hand tools will run at the same speed irrespective of frequency. They will even run on DC.

I have a US fixed-base router (Ridgid R2400). I posted on the electrical section of a DIY forum about using it on a 110V site transformer last year. Lots of conflicting advice given with several people saying it will run hot and have a shorter life. However I went ahead and did it anyway and it works fine.

I recently returned from living in the States for the last 12 years. Harbor Freight tools are cheap and do not last too long. Normally they are marketed under Central Pneumatic tools brand.
If your going for a router try Porter Cable, they are excellent machines. Mine works well over here. Also notable are Sears Craftsman which are equally good. I use a 110v transformer and lots of power stripes to run all my usa tools. The only thing that does not work are Wahl hair clippers that because of the frequency run crazy fast.

Best of luck

Trevsf1 - your comment regarding the quality of Sears Craftsman tools is interesting because I was always under the impression they're a budget brand.

Incidentally I read on a US forum recently the revered reputation of Porter Cable is waning. Wikipedia says the company is now part of Black & Decker/Stanley and the majority of manufacturing has been relocated from the US to Mexico and China. Maybe that explains it?

I've heard a similar story with Skil. Aparently once upon a time they made good solid tools but after the merger with Bosch they were demoted and became the DIY-orientated brand. Their wormdrives are the only tools in the range still synonymous with dependability, but even they have seen quality suffer in the name of costcutting.

I don't have any personal experience of the new wormdrives, but mine's a Skil HD77 Type 17 from the early 90's and it's bulletproof. Made in Chicago too ;)

Mark

Porter cable still make good routers. I used one for years. Be aware that you will only find 1/2" and 1/4" collets here though.

Induction motors will run at a different speed between here and the USA, because of the frequency difference, but anything with brushes in its motor shouldn't be affected.

It's worth mentioning that some transformers (and I'm _guessing_ motors too), are designed for a specific mains frequency. Those are not interchangeable between the US and the UK, because the wrong frequency makes them inefficient and they have a tendency to burnout. I was told this about 38 years ago during my engineering training, but I can't remember which design of xformer or motor is vulnerable - squirrel cage motors, I think, but honestly it's unlikely to find those in woodwork as they're really inefficient and cheap and low power (used for bathroom fans, etc.).

Re xformers, probably toroidals, as they have a sharper resonance.

I'd welcome correction on this, as I really can't remember the details.

E. (feeling old & stupid)

I've some US import tools dating back 30+ years and they run perfectly well on our 50Hz system, albeit maybe with slightly reduced performance (which in practical terms isn't really noticeable).

Grid frequency deviates during the day anyway dependant on actual generation and the demand. In times of excessive demand it can deviate by as much as 2Hz-3Hz for a while with no ill effects.

I run my Kreg Foremen no sweat, and absolutely love it. So much quicker.

I bought a 1 metre lead from Amazon for about £15 I think, that goes between US plug and UK 110 saved cutting and any wiring.

Sears Craftsman tools are well regarded. A UK friend of mine who is a full-time mechanic always preferred Craftsman socket sets as they also have a lifetime guarantee and are much cheaper than Snapon. I brought back all my Craftsman gear and they are still perfoming well.
I have 2 big routers that are used a great deal and have never missed a beat. Also have the table saw with built in router wing which performs excellent.

Only other thing to bear in mind is the actual power rating of the transformer too. I had to get quite a meaty one just for my wife's US Kitchen Aid. For example, if you are running a 1200W router you need a transformer that really exceeds that rating comfortably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodgers":1zhk62pn said:
Only other thing to bear in mind is the actual power rating of the transformer too. I had to get quite a meaty one just for my wife's US Kitchen Aid. For example, if you are running a 1200W router you need a transformer that really exceeds that rating comfortably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The majority of portable site transformers are 3.3KVa :)

Back