Help buying morticer bits.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally got my morticer installed - all I need now is some morticer bits - but I'm stuck.

The morticer is a "Axminster CM1903" (thats a now obsolete design I think). Anyways... It requires a 3/4" Chisel - and the only ones I can see in the Axminster catalogue are "cheapie-disposable" ones. I'd rather buy a decent set.

Any suggestions on where to purchase?

Thanks, Adam

Adam, all the quality chisels I have seen come with a 13/16" shank(cilco and record) the only way round it to make it fit is to skim 1/16" off a quality chisel.
Mind you I do believe multico are 3/4" shank but I have never seen them for sale.

I should have thought about that before! I just went and measured my Multico chisels - they are indeed 3/4 inch shanks. As far as I know they are still in business.

Alf":3g5o14tt said:

Tried them, but very unhelpful. They sugegsted I send my query to them by email - which is a hotmail account. :shock:

Adam

Any further ideas anyone??

Adam
That cheap Axminster set you refer to aren't 3/4" either according to the text - they are 13/16" as the others. The set comes with a 3/4" to 13/16" adapter. Could you not just get this adapter (which is sold seperately) and buy a nice Clico chisel?
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":9xue2tu5 said:
Adam
That cheap Axminster set you refer to aren't 3/4" either according to the text - they are 13/16" as the others. The set comes with a 3/4" to 13/16" adapter. Could you not just get this adapter (which is sold seperately) and buy a nice Clico chisel?
Cheers
Gidon

Done, I'd beaten you too it. I've ordered the bush - and will get a decent set once it arrives - and I'm sure it's the right thing. Thanks for helping though. Axminster technical helpline were the ones that suggested that too. I can't see how a 3/4 to 13/16" bush works - unless they have made a mistake, and they actually mean 13/16 to 3/4" which would allow these "cheap" chisels to fit any "normal" machine with a 13/16" fitting. (Thats what I suspect - but the technical guy went away and checked and came back and said this was what I needed.)

Fingers crossed...

Adam

All sounds a little strange I agree - why are all the machines made to fit 3/4" chisels and most chisels 13/16"? Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Gidon

Adam,

I have the CM1903 (different brand though - from Woodcut). I bought the Japanese chisels from Axminster. They are 13/16" shank, so I just bored the 3/4" bushing out to fit them. The chisels are damn good quality (they are made in Japan) and excellent value for money being much cheaper than Clico.

Ike

A note that is almost on topic. :shock:

I have a cheap Draper Morticer and that has a 1 1/16" hole in the headstock, being supplied with two bushes. One with a 3/4" hole and the other 13/16", thus allowing both types of chisel to be used. :D

In fact there is a review of it in GWW 155, but they don't say if it still comes with both sizes of bush. :?

I have had good support from Draper, the 1/2" auger was bent when I unpacked my machine. I called the support line, they asked where the chisel and bit would be the next day as they would pick it up, could I please find something to pack it in :shock: A week later a brand new chisel and bit of a higher quality was delivered free of charge with a note apologising for the problem. :D

Hi Gidon
I ended up buying the Japanese chisels from Axminster

DSCF0022.JPG

After owning the Taiwan three for twenty quid chisels for a good many years these are excellent, vast improvement

DSCF0020.JPG

Cheers

Hi SP - I do quite fancy those ones - but the thing is my mortiser has a 3/4" bush - it didn't come with a 13/16" bush (although maybe I can get hold of one?) That's why I was wondering how Adam got on in the end.
I take it your machine does have a 13/16" bush?
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":102j3gcz said:
Hi SP - I do quite fancy those ones - but the thing is my mortiser has a 3/4" bush - it didn't come with a 13/16" bush (although maybe I can get hold of one?) That's why I was wondering how Adam got on in the end.
I take it your machine does have a 13/16" bush?
Cheers
Gidon

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3124

Have a look in the above post. In the picture looking direct on at the morticer - you can see a small bush sitting on the pull down lever. I hadn't noticed this :oops: Until I put the whole thing together. Anyway - its a 13/16th inner - and fits direct into the machine casting - so everything turned out fine for me. Just a bit dopey for not noticing earlier. The axminster bush is 13/16ths to 3/4 not 3/4 to 13/16s - which is now spare as I forgot to send it back in a reasonable time :oops: I'm sure I did a post on this but I can't find it.

Adam

Thanks Adam! I wasn't so lucky - the Rexon looks identical to yours but has no additional 13/16" bush :(.
If you get a chance could you measure the outside diameter of the bush? I think on the Rexon this is 1". If it's the same I may be able to get a spare from Axminster ...
Thanks a lot,
Gidon

Don't worry Adam. Telephoned Rexon and they sent me a 13/16" bush in the post the next day. Fitted one of the Axminster Japanese chisels and there is indeed quite an improvement.

Cheers

Gidon

Back