• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Help buying morticer bits.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally got my morticer installed - all I need now is some morticer bits - but I'm stuck.

The morticer is a "Axminster CM1903" (thats a now obsolete design I think). Anyways... It requires a 3/4" Chisel - and the only ones I can see in the Axminster catalogue are "cheapie-disposable" ones. I'd rather buy a decent set.

Any suggestions on where to purchase?

Thanks, Adam

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam, all the quality chisels I have seen come with a 13/16" shank(cilco and record) the only way round it to make it fit is to skim 1/16" off a quality chisel.
Mind you I do believe multico are 3/4" shank but I have never seen them for sale.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I should have thought about that before! I just went and measured my Multico chisels - they are indeed 3/4 inch shanks. As far as I know they are still in business.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf":3g5o14tt said:
Tried them, but very unhelpful. They sugegsted I send my query to them by email - which is a hotmail account. :shock:

Adam

Any further ideas anyone??

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam
That cheap Axminster set you refer to aren't 3/4" either according to the text - they are 13/16" as the others. The set comes with a 3/4" to 13/16" adapter. Could you not just get this adapter (which is sold seperately) and buy a nice Clico chisel?
Cheers
Gidon

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
gidon":9xue2tu5 said:
Adam
That cheap Axminster set you refer to aren't 3/4" either according to the text - they are 13/16" as the others. The set comes with a 3/4" to 13/16" adapter. Could you not just get this adapter (which is sold seperately) and buy a nice Clico chisel?
Cheers
Gidon
Done, I'd beaten you too it. I've ordered the bush - and will get a decent set once it arrives - and I'm sure it's the right thing. Thanks for helping though. Axminster technical helpline were the ones that suggested that too. I can't see how a 3/4 to 13/16" bush works - unless they have made a mistake, and they actually mean 13/16 to 3/4" which would allow these "cheap" chisels to fit any "normal" machine with a 13/16" fitting. (Thats what I suspect - but the technical guy went away and checked and came back and said this was what I needed.)

Fingers crossed...

Adam

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
All sounds a little strange I agree - why are all the machines made to fit 3/4" chisels and most chisels 13/16"? Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Gidon

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam,

I have the CM1903 (different brand though - from Woodcut). I bought the Japanese chisels from Axminster. They are 13/16" shank, so I just bored the 3/4" bushing out to fit them. The chisels are damn good quality (they are made in Japan) and excellent value for money being much cheaper than Clico.

Ike

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
A note that is almost on topic. :shock:

I have a cheap Draper Morticer and that has a 1 1/16" hole in the headstock, being supplied with two bushes. One with a 3/4" hole and the other 13/16", thus allowing both types of chisel to be used. :D

In fact there is a review of it in GWW 155, but they don't say if it still comes with both sizes of bush. :?

I have had good support from Draper, the 1/2" auger was bent when I unpacked my machine. I called the support line, they asked where the chisel and bit would be the next day as they would pick it up, could I please find something to pack it in :shock: A week later a brand new chisel and bit of a higher quality was delivered free of charge with a note apologising for the problem. :D

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Gidon
I ended up buying the Japanese chisels from Axminster

After owning the Taiwan three for twenty quid chisels for a good many years these are excellent, vast improvement

Cheers

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi SP - I do quite fancy those ones - but the thing is my mortiser has a 3/4" bush - it didn't come with a 13/16" bush (although maybe I can get hold of one?) That's why I was wondering how Adam got on in the end.
I take it your machine does have a 13/16" bush?
Cheers
Gidon

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
gidon":102j3gcz said:
Hi SP - I do quite fancy those ones - but the thing is my mortiser has a 3/4" bush - it didn't come with a 13/16" bush (although maybe I can get hold of one?) That's why I was wondering how Adam got on in the end.
I take it your machine does have a 13/16" bush?
Cheers
Gidon
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3124

Have a look in the above post. In the picture looking direct on at the morticer - you can see a small bush sitting on the pull down lever. I hadn't noticed this :oops: Until I put the whole thing together. Anyway - its a 13/16th inner - and fits direct into the machine casting - so everything turned out fine for me. Just a bit dopey for not noticing earlier. The axminster bush is 13/16ths to 3/4 not 3/4 to 13/16s - which is now spare as I forgot to send it back in a reasonable time :oops: I'm sure I did a post on this but I can't find it.

Adam

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Adam! I wasn't so lucky - the Rexon looks identical to yours but has no additional 13/16" bush :(.
If you get a chance could you measure the outside diameter of the bush? I think on the Rexon this is 1". If it's the same I may be able to get a spare from Axminster ...
Thanks a lot,
Gidon

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry Adam. Telephoned Rexon and they sent me a 13/16" bush in the post the next day. Fitted one of the Axminster Japanese chisels and there is indeed quite an improvement.

Cheers

Gidon