Help and info required Union Graduate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Reaction score
Hi

Firstly an apology, for the lack of terminology/knowledge, the last time I saw or used a lathe I was at school I'm now 55.... (not sure what happened in-between).

I recently purchased a Union Graduate lathe, I had been meaning to start this process for about 2 years, as a second income, however with the onset of the Zombie Apocalypse and the end of the world as we know it, i thought I'd better get a wriggle on.

I was originally going to purchase a small table top lathe, but wine and stupidity made me buy a Union Graduate, its now set up in Dad's garage (big Yay for parents), it runs, I have some tools to start with, the lathe has come from a school at some point in it's life and the outboard side has been set up for sanding, it's missing any form of tool rest on that side.

In board I have a 10" RH face plate which fits just fine, I was also sent 2 smaller face plates a 4" and and 6" these appear to be threaded LH, and here starts the problem, I'm going to need a chuck so I measure the spindle to the outside of the thread and it comes up as 1 and 5/16" I try to calculate the TPI and I'm not positive as to where to start the measure from as the thread tapers in and out the nearest I can figure, I have three turns in a 5/16 of an "

I spoke to a chap called Andy Maclean who said this is originally listed as 1.5" x 6 tpi in the manual (thnx Andy if you ever read this), Andy also said to try to get an adapter 1" x 8 tpi as this would make buying items easier and cheaper.

So my dilemma is this... is my lousy measuring correct, or is the original manual spec right, see pics.

If the original spec is correct do I buy an adapter and if so from who? or is there a great repository of right handed face plates and chucks someplace of the tinterweb?

I've had this about a month and never used it yet, as of early next month this is going to be my only source of income unless i can find a new job PDQ (I've been told robbing banks is not a job btw, however, I seem to recall they do very well robbing us). joking apart, i need help, guidance and prob a lot of patience.

If you can help i would appreciate it.
Also any one in and around the Bolton, Lancs area that i can make contact with?
Regards

Clem

url]
[/img]

Attachments

• IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 307
Its difficult to tell from your ruler but it could have been modded to m33 x 3.5mm
1 5/16 is 33.3mm
and if your pitch was 3 turns in just over 3/8ths that could be 3.5mm

Not sure I agree re. modding. It looks identical to mine and in your photo the ruler does not appear to be across the diameter? Do you have some calipers you could use?

The other thing I can offer is I have a 1.1/2"x6 tap, so I could thread a bit of wood and you can see if that fits?

The Patriot chuck has a clever twin-thread body which allows it to be used on both sides of a Graduate without changing anything- I see that the versachuck has other advantages so I guess it depends what you want.

Deadeye":2h9t046h said:
So I'm pretty sure it's a standard Graduate thread. The versachuck sounds like a plan.

Having just done a little detective work on ebay, i spotted another Union Graduate for sale, the pics on the ad also showed the inboard side spindle thread , it looks identical to mine. I'm going to go with the premise that it's a standard thread and cross my fingers that I'm right.

1.5" x 6 tpi

If i purchase a small 4 or 6 " plate around £20 quid P &P and it fits then i'm laughing and can find a
Versachuck later....

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 115
Never known a graduate to be anything but 1 1/2" x 6 tpi both inboard and outboard and can see absolutely no reason why anyone would modify it to another thread size; it would be IMHO way too much hassle.
Also don't understand the advice given to get a 1 x8 adapter as the 1 1/2 x 6 is still a standard thread size and readily available for all attachments i.e. chucks and faceplates. So for a chuck your options are a Versachuck which is a copy of the original Super Precision fro Axminster (no longer available) or a direct threaded double thread Axminster SK114.

I thought from the title that this was about someone from University that had graduated with a degree from the NUT. 😇

Back