Help a newbie - Stanley 5 1/2 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there. I've only just got back into woodworking as a hobby after years of doing other stuff. I noticed yesterday that I was getting some shavings caught between the iron and the chip breaker on my plane. I spent a bit of time making sure that the back of the iron was flat and the mating surface on the chipbreaker. Here's the thing, if I hold the two together and apply even light pressure, they mate perfectly but as soon as I put the screw in and tighten it up, a gap reappears one one side of the join. I'm guessing that either the iron or the chipbreaker is bent in some way but I can't find it using a straight edge. Any ideas on how I might fix this or do I need new iron/chipbreaker? Thanks

there could be a belly in the iron, if not make sure the very edge of the cap iron is mating perfectly with the back of the blade, there should be absolutely no gaps at all, it can be quite a lot of work, you have to get the angle just right when sharpening the cap iron edge, also make sure your blade is razor sharp!

there could be a belly in the iron, if not make sure the very edge of the cap iron is mating perfectly with the back of the blade, there should be absolutely no gaps at all, it can be quite a lot of work, you have to get the angle just right when sharpening the cap iron edge, also make sure your blade is razor sharp!
Yes, you just need to increase the angle on your cap iron slightly so that when you tighten it down the front edge is still the bit that touches. Ian

Last edited:
Repeating Cabinetman's advice - undercut the edge

How do the blade back or cap iron behave on a flat surface ( not just a straight edge) eg float glass? Do they rock, do they show twist?

A diamond stone is good for creating a dead straight edge and the small clearance angle required, Some referred to this as undercut.

Work just on the edge of the stone, maybe 1/2" and use a wooden prop to support the top end of the c/b. the top of this prop should be about 3 mm below the surface of the stone. Black felt tip helps to show what is happening.

Belly in a blade can be a pipper to remove. If necessary get another blade.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

I've had the same problem. There is twist - either in the iron itself, or in the cap iron. Check each one with winding strips. If it's there, easiest is to take it out on the cap iron, grinding it back [and undercutting] until it sits dead flush on the iron when screws down.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to spend a bit of time in the workshop today or tomorrow trying the things you've suggested. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back