Hells Granny Pays Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody

Glad that you got something for your hard work even if its not the full amount. Unfortunately there are a lot of people around who get away with things like this, when you are entering into a contract, even if its verbal, you expect bothparties to abid by that contract, alas this is not always the case, as you have found out to your expense.

As the previous post have said, someis better than none.

Enjoy your new toy whatever that maybe.

Woody
Send off for the Woodrat dvd-its only £2.55
It will open yours eyes, o.k.!
Cheers
Philly :D
(who is now a Rat convert......)

What a bummer Woody, leaves a a sour taste in your mouth when this happens. Had it happen to me twice so now I ALWAYS ask for staged payments - 40% upfront, 40% halfway to be advised by ME with balance on completion, that way you minimise your lose if it does happen.

I agree about getting your solicitor to write voiding all warranties that you've given - tell them they can a warraty for the balance they owe you.

Instead of buying a new woodworking toy, why not hire one these people that will go round and either hassle or embarrass them - someone like Rent-A-Yob :D

Col

As a consultant I have come across quite a few shady characters in my time, but this one takes the biscuit.

I got burnt once - and never since. Essentially a certain large multinational corporation invited me to bid for some business change work, and 'helped' me develop a full proposal that would be accepted by their board. The proposal worked all right - and they gave the work to their internal consulting team who flew over from HQ in Japan. 6 weeks of my time wasted - and I used to bill at $1600 a day........

Philly":1il3cad8 said:
(who is now a Rat convert......)
Tsk. You wouldn't believe us, would you? :roll:

Woody, glad you got something out of the whole unpleasant experience - and not just experience. My folks had an encounter with an old lady who, when she felt lonely, put her house up for sale. They paid out for a survey, various fees etc which they could ill-afford at the time before she turned round and said she'd "changed her mind". Later they discovered she was serially "indecisive"... Not quite so calculating as your example of the Old Widder Woman, but certainly taught us all a valuable life lesson. :?

Cheers, Alf

roy":lz4yqev8 said:
Just to wander completely off topic I am owed a little over a thousand pounds for some work I did for someone. I have a court order in my favour but the individual concerned took similar action to divest himself of assets and make sure all his business payments went to his wife. Hence I would just be throwing good money after bad trying to enforce the judgement. However he has recently formed a limited company to continue the business. Does anyone know if I can get at the assets of that company by virtue of him being a director even though the debt arose when he was a sole trader?

The courts will lift the veil of incorporation under certain conditions (Gilford Motor Company v Horne (1933) Ch935, Jones v Lipman (1962) 1WLR 832). Much will depend on the precise nature of the case, though. If you think you can establish that the creation of the company is either fraudulent or a sham, you may have a successful claim. However, it could involve an awful lot of legal costs and probably wouldn't be worthwhile for the sum involved.

Gill

Thanks to everyone for your advice. My solicitor said that he is not an expert on the Inland Revenue but he will look into it.

As for voiding the guarantee he has already got her to sign a document agreeing to this.

Alf thats terrible. Do you remember a few years ago there was talk of introducing a sellers pack where the person selling the property would pay for a survey and some other fees which would normally be paid by the persecutive buyer. This was meant to stop gazumping. Have they introduced this law?

Philly i will get that DVD.

Regards

Woody

Woody...

it's a hard hearted thing to say... but often the best lessons learned are the ones that left impresive scars. The upside being that like any good scar, there's normally a yarn that'll take 3-4 pints in the telling.. Some of the advise this tale's generated should steer you right when avoiding a reoccurence.. use it wisely :wink:

Why not publish her full names and address as well as that of her son and if possible a picture of the dear old lady?
(obviously keeping within the law)
:cry:

Woody - I sympathise as in an earlier incarantion I was 'done' by a guy who knew every legal trick in the book to avoid/delay paying and, yes, in the end I took an offer. On a positive note for me, during the process, I ended up taking the solicitors who were acting for me in front of the taxing master in London. I won and so now have no fear of the legal fraternity :evil:

In your case, do you know their home phone number? Do you have a fax machine or a PC? Well, set either of them up each night to ring them up with a blank fax at 3am and then again at 4am. Don't forget to prefix the number with 141 and put it on auto-redial. Hopefully they haven't got a fax.

Repeat on random days. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other thoughts...does he work? Is he claiming benefit as well ? There is a benefit fraud hotline. Skip delivery on the front lawn?

from JCBs'R'Us :wink:

In my (limited) experience of these things, there is nothing better than a trailer load of pig manure delivered to the front garden of the ex customer for balancing the books. It is worth the £5 delivery fee :twisted:

Dennis

"In your case, do you know their home phone number? Do you have a fax machine or a PC? Well, set either of them up each night to ring them up with a blank fax at 3am and then again at 4am. Don't forget to prefix the number with 141 and put it on auto-redial. Hopefully they haven't got a fax"

Not a good idea. All the 141 prefix does is stop the recipient knowing who is calling, not BT. A quick call to BT from the person that is receiving these calls will land you in severe trouble. Harassment of this nature will have the local peelers calling at your door. And your dispute with the party concerned will be no defence.

Re: 'Sellers packs'

The legislation was passed, but only after amendments that first made it only a civil rather than a criminal offence to not produce one, and then to make them entirely voluntary. I guess they might become expected in some situations, but we'll have to see ...

Hopefully the £7700 covered your expenses and maybe even a little profit.

Bad as this was, I would suggest you mark it down to exerience and simply move on.

Enjoy the new toy (and associated gloat) mate :wink:

Lee, typical. They make all these promises to get into power and then renege on them,

Tony your right of course. Who knows some of the other trades that she had working there might not have got anything.

Now about this gloat, a bit of under cover work is called for here. Without letting Philly know try and find out what little (or big) woodworking toy he would really love so that i can go out and get one, then we can really have a gloat. I may even be able to bring Waka and his empty Festool boxes down at the same time.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":rvx6a0v1 said:
Without letting Philly know try and find out what little (or big) woodworking toy he would really love so that i can go out and get one
Can there really be anything left he hasn't got? :roll: How about a Holtey? That should wipe out everyone. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Karl Hotley, a near god of plane makers. What a gloat that would be.

Oh well we can all dream.

Regards

Woody

Holtey, eh? :roll:
Think you're safe there, if the look Mrs. Philly is giving me is anythig to go by....... :wink:

Back