Hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich.ca

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a section for saying hello, so I'll say it here instead!

My name is Rich and I live in Canada. I've been reading your forum and found lots of interesting things on here, so thought what the hell - I'll join.
I currently scrape a living making furniture and other wooden things from my home shop, but wood is expensive over here :( I'll post up some pics of my shop later.

I hope I can learn a few things from you guys and maybe I can help in some way too.

Rich...

Hi Rich

Welcome to the forum

Hope you enjoy your time with us :mrgreen:

I thought Canada was full of trees ? how comes timber or lumber is expensive :?

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the welcomes.

Blister":28spm6c0 said:
I thought Canada was full of trees ? how comes timber or lumber is expensive :?

:mrgreen:

So did I! This part of Canada is fairly treeless though, so I suppose dragging them over from the west coast cost a fair bit seeing as its a few thousand miles away.

I forgot to mention, I'm an expat from Devon :)

Welcome Rich. Keep ya stick on the ice!

Which part of Canada are you in? I lived in Halifax, Nova Scotia for a couple of years and would gladly move back to Canada any time.

I'm in Windsor, Ontario - also known as the a**hole of Canada, there isn't a whole lot of anything round here apart from car factories and endless flat fields.

Thanks guys.

Already read lots of good stuff on here, especially in the jigs section. I'm about to embark on a couple of peices for a customer this week. If I remember, I'll take a whole load of photos and post up my progress, but don't hold me to it as I have a rubbish memory :roll:

EH! Rich

lots of wood where you are from. that is the only place in Canada that has Carolinian forests. Some of the best Cheery, wallnut, and sicamore(plane tree) grow there. Don't go to the lumber yard to get wood . Talk to some farmers they will have some wood. Some of the old fruit orchard(you live in the fruit belt) have some wood to that is very interesting and they sell it to the bagels shop cheep for there wood ovens.

wood is cheep in Canada you just need to know where to look. Wood does grow on trees :mrgreen:

welcome

jack

Hi Rich, Woodenoke from Johannesburg South Africa. Hardwood is also pricey here so I recently used two contrasting colours (scraps) to make a lamp and it turned out beautifully. Experiment with contrasting colours using even small pieces as trim.

All the best! Hope this tip helps.

Latest posts

Back