Hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksDad

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well after reading this forum non-stop since Christmas, I figured it was time to sign up and get involved :) I've loved reading everything here and the community.

I'm getting into woodworking - I need a hobby as work and my young family pretty much consumes me. In my teenage years I had a lathe and did some turning but never stuck at it. I was watching a few DIY videos on YouTube before Christmas and that somehow led me onto some woodworking videos and decided this was going to be the thing for me.

I've always been a fan of forums and much prefer the engagement factor of them compared to the one way feel of YouTube so here I am.

Where I am now is my wife's home town and has a history of furniture making which I am sure I will not live up to. I've also since discovered I am only a 5 minute drive from an Axminster tools showroom which is no doubt going to be expensive and a short drive from cutlist.co.uk which will be perfect for the sheet good projects I have in mind, however solid wood furniture / cabinetry is what I'm aiming for long term.

Looking forward to being involved.

Hello and welcome , get rid of you're car o_O it will save you from the temptation to take unessessary trips out to either of those places :)

Hello and welcome :cool:
I've also since discovered I am only a 5 minute drive from an Axminster tools showroom
I now hate you.
:LOL:
Haven grown in wookworking these last 20 years I've been through a number of Axminster tool catalogs, in fact a big 2015 one lives in the toilet. But I would love to be somewhere near enough to visit one of their establishments, but living in Scotland, thats pretty much as far as it gets.

Welcome to the real world Neo!
Classic. I am going to pile on this..

If you take the red pill, you will wake up on your keyboard where you were watching Paul Sellers do magic and your family will still consume you.

If you take the blue pill, you will soon find yourself throwing garbage out of your garage to make space for your tools.

Which ever you pick, DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY THE WOMAN IN THE RED DRESS (meaning don't watch too many US woodworking YouTubers and buy a Table Saw as your first tool!)

Welcome to the Desert!

In all seriousness, welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Where I am now is my wife's home town and has a history of furniture making which I am sure I will not live up to
Back in 1988 I did a furniture production degree in High Wycombe.

The factories of G plan, Ercol, Parker Knoll were all in the town and I had tours of them all.

I have even visited the chair museum!
And in the first year I live in Chairborough road!

Welcome,

I've not been a member for long either, although I've tried to do woodworking for much of my life.

I'm also not too far from an Axminster showroom, in my case, Basingstoke.

My suggestion to you is that you choose a different hobby, something like power boat racing, flying or starting a Formula One team. This will work out cheaper than regular visits to the Axminster showroom.

I went there, several times, and my wallet is just starting to recover. ;)

never been near a Axminster showroom in my life o_O but i have still parted with a small fortune over the years buying on line or even going old shool and using the House Phone to place an order ;):).

Welcome,

I'm also not too far from an Axminster showroom, in my case, Basingstoke.

So, my son mentioned an Axminster showroom about eight miles from home and I dragged the wife into the car with me so she could see the nice new lathe I thought I wanted. Turned out to be a carpet shop. I waited in the car whilst my beloved bought a rug. I am sure I saw her point at me and laugh when she paid for the rug.

Back in 1988 I did a furniture production degree in High Wycombe.

The factories of G plan, Ercol, Parker Knoll were all in the town and I had tours of them all.

I have even visited the chair museum!
And in the first year I live in Chairborough road!
I did a national diploma in engineering at bucks college 95-97, looking back I wish I had done carpentry / furniture production!

Cheers James

Hello, welcome!

On your first projects, dont be deterred or dissapointed if they dont quite turn out how you hope, theres a lot to learn and it takes time and experience.... its all part of the journey!

Welcome. Most of the people watching videos on youtube prefer to imagine they could make things or do things, and most of the people on forums make things and do things and just like to imagine that they could get better at it.

Back