Hello with my new kity 1637 please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
So just brought home my kity 1637. The guy selling it showed it working, put some wood through the thicknesser etc. Great.
Just got it home, have realised in my eagerness I didn't really watch what he was showing me. So, now, can't get it to run at all, are there micro switches or similar? Can't move the thicknesser plate up or down, trying to wind the wheel either way and can't move it. Obviously me as he showed me it all working fine. I'll get in touch with him again and possibly have to load it back in my van and go and see him but thought you lot might know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Steve

Thats the same one that I have, or at least, I think it is without checking. If you look at the end that has the habdwheel, it should be on the right. To the left of that, on the should be a little lever. That locks the plate that can be raised and lowered in one place. Clockwis to lock, anticlockwise to unlock.

On mine, which is a 3 phase model, there are some fuses by the side of the on off switch. One or more of these could have blown. I dont recall having any micro switches anywhere on the machine. Presumably your will be similar, even if it is single phase.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm sure you mean this one?
Are we talking 1 turn, 10 turns etc as I've undine it for and still nothing. If I try and turn the wheel too hard I can feel it slip. As I say the guy I bought it from used the thicknesser on some small stock and was moving it easily up and down.

Attachments

• 16420819268231430915220765076032.jpg
    16420819268231430915220765076032.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220113_135504786~2.jpg
    IMG_20220113_135504786~2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
Now I'm going to show my real ignorance. It's a16amp, single phase motor. The seller ran it happily on his 13a main using an adapter.
I've simply tried doing the same albeit at the end of a long extension lead, is there a chance is just not getting enough puff to turn on. I obviously have plans (waiting for my sparky) to fit the right power outlet, but thought I'd just "test it out", as you do.

Forget the power bit for now, I've just found the seller's lead had a loose wire!

Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm sure you mean this one?
Are we talking 1 turn, 10 turns etc as I've undine it for and still nothing. If I try and turn the wheel too hard I can feel it slip. As I say the guy I bought it from used the thicknesser on some small stock and was moving it easily up and down.

Just checked with mine. 5 or 6 turns out is enough. The wheel should turn easily when its unlocked. I dont usually use the lock, as I had problems with it when I first bought the machine.

Nope, I can easily undo it all the way but doesn't do anything, I spoke to the guy who sold it to me and he said the same as you, turn the lock a few turns and then turn the wheel. Anyone else got any ideas about what to do next? Might have to find a strong helper to load it back on my van and take it back to the seller to show me his technique, but to be honest I'm usually able to work stuff like this out! Bit puzzled!

It could be that your attempt to turn it with the lock on has jammed it. Try a gentle tap with a wooden or plastic mallet on the lock handle, as in tap the centre of the handle towards the machine.

I remember that not long after I got mine, the locking lever did break, but did not do it in such a way that the table was locked.

One possibility is that there could be a problem with the chain that turns the four threaded pillars that tuen to allow the table to move up or down. If it allows these pillars to become out of sync., then they will lock the table.

Sorted thanks, laid the machine down and just loosened the nut closest to the "lock", bit of lounge and all's good.

Next problem, putting wood through the thicknesser is a bit hit and miss. Some pieces get taken through and get planed, some pieces just don't move at all. Feels like they are wedged in place, just don't move at all. Haven't touched the lever on the left (see photo), what does this do, and could that be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_135510356~2.jpg
    IMG_20220113_135510356~2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
It engages the feed rollers, pull it out and down. Without it there's only the grooved roller feeding the wood through. They're also quite sensitive to variation in thickness hence the 'wedging'.

Back