hello with a kity 419 question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to machining different bars it's what I miss most about being a retired toolmaker. No access to the vertical mills I spent most of my working life on.
Before Kity went into liquidation 3 years ago they had a Kity tenon jig for sale on their website.
When Rutlands stopped stocking Kity they imported a couple of Fox table saws. The latest looks like a copy of the Kity419 but has a cast iron table. 630mm ripping width with side extension table.
Unfortunately my workshop is so small I need to move the table saw when not in use. The weight of the Fox makes that impossible.
I don't like the Sheppach so was considering the Leccy Becky until I saw it doesn't have an induction motor so it looks like the 419 again with a customised tenon jig.

Dewy":xd0z0ebw said:
Unfortunately my workshop is so small I need to move the table saw when not in use. The weight of the Fox makes that impossible.

What's wrong with putting a mobile base underneath the legs ?

Chris.

A mobile base does not reduce the weight of the cast iron tables which are much too heavy for me to lift to put the saw together since a major accident 3 years ago. 6 operations later and my shoulders will never be like they were in the past. Now I am limited to what I am capable of lifting as opposed to what I was able to lift before breaking both shoulders. :(
After 40 years working with wood using only a power drill and sander, power tools are now a necessity to do what was always done using hand tools.

Hi Dewy,

If a bit of volunteer muscle power would help get you something suitable installed. I'm sure there would be some forum members who would rally round to help out.
You can put my name down for a start.

Bob

PS if you decide to stick with the Kity, I could always machine up a piece of bar to suit the tee slot for you. I'm no toolmaker but I have a lathe & a mill in my shop at home.

9fingers,

Given the number of Kity owners in this forum, that actually could be a pretty good little side business... making custom bits like machined guide bars with pre-drilled centred holes for jigs.

If you decide to, sign me up, as well.

Thanks, Jim

I sent an email to the new Kity site asking if they sold their tenon jigs as they are not shown on the site.

The Kity "tennoning" jig is actually a comb jointer not a tennoning jig as per the delta/dakota etc. Not worth getting unless you want to cut 8mm comb/finger joints and you need the 8mm cutter to go with it.

Jason

Permutation_Jim":1so9laum said:
9fingers,

Given the number of Kity owners in this forum, that actually could be a pretty good little side business... making custom bits like machined guide bars with pre-drilled centred holes for jigs.

If you decide to, sign me up, as well.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

I don't mind doing the odd job to help people out. If I can 'swap' my engineering skills for the huge amount I am learning about wood off others in the forum them I feel i'm 'paying my way'

If I take on making parts for money for members then the only real way to do it at an economical price for the customer is to set up and make a batch. Otherwise the set up time dwarfs the machining time and everyone ends up paying a high price for one offs.

Perhaps if people want Kity tee slot bar made then they could use this thread to indicate what they might need and we will see the demand and i can make an offer of what I could do.

regards

Bob

9fingers,

Sounds like a good idea.

Once I double check which Kity tools use the same width slot, I'll start a new thread... probably tomorrow.

Thanks, Jim

Back