Hello.. How would you make this?????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whalewale

Reaction score
Pinch-by-Matthias-Pliessnig-4.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am Wale from Nigeria, i am an Architect by profession. I recently got attached with the designs of a renowned furniture maker (Matthias Plessnig), so i joined this site to be able to learn, understand, and eventually create the kind of furniture Matthias makes. I have NO knowledge the "hand-work" aspect of furniture making, but i am good with CAD.

I have attached an image of one of Matthias works (the Pinch bench). Its my aim that as the days go by, using the information and lessons from this website, I would be able to achieve my set goals.

Attachments

• Pinch-by-Matthias-Pliessnig-4.jpg
    Pinch-by-Matthias-Pliessnig-4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 391
As far as I'm aware, he uses CAD to build a form, then using the wire frame creates a wooden form to bend the wood to.

Then uses steam bending on thin oak/ash, the inner ribs are much thicker and so give structural strength.
It seems to be fixed in places with wooden dowel, if you look closely.

Generally, for someone with the space and time, (patience) it seems quite an easy build.

Lets hope you have a lot of clamps. :D

Hi Wale, i cant help with your enquiry, just wanted to say hello and welcome.
chris

phil.p":31jx3j2d said:
Hello.. Why would you make this???????

Hiiii. First i love the form;and I have actually started applying the design concept on my buildings (i am an architect). Secondly, i intend to design other types of furniture (for example; chairs, couches, shelves )using this method. I have attached a design which i am working on...Its still in the CAD phase.

Attachments

• 3d sample 2.jpg
    3d sample 2.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 189
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 189
Hi Wale,
Just wondering if you know my long lost uncle who left £10million in his will....... only most of Nigeria seems to know him and always seem to be trying to help me get his money.

Welcome to the forum.

doctor Bob":3jle3d30 said:
Hi Wale,
Just wondering if you know my long lost uncle who left £10million in his will....... only most of Nigeria seems to know him and always seem to be trying to help me get his money.

Welcome to the forum.

You have a Nigerian uncle too? Mines the Deputy Vice President Reverend Bishop Bukkake and he needs help repatriating some monies in the amount of $26 million (U.S) whats your uncles name?

I'm sure there was a thread on someone producing something similar for a garden bench about six months ago...

Will have a look for it.

Edit: Grrrrr! Can't find it! Anyone else remember it? Think it emphasised the vertical pieces rather more than the designs above. Really like your bench one by the way Whale!

You might be able to make an adjustable jig for holding the strips in the correct shape based on an acoustic guitar jig like this:

back_installed_2.jpg

The bars move in and out in slots and are held by wing nuts on threaded bar.

no idea about the first thing but your design can be made by making hundreds of the cross-sectional curved pieces and joining them with the hundreds of the other bent curved pieces
tedious work!
looks great though

I like that bench design, reminds me of the seating around Parc Guelle, Barcelona.
chris

Latest posts

Back