Hello Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdick

Reaction score
Good Afternoon ive just bought a 1990 multi kity machine could do with some advice re belts etc it hasnt come with a manual could i still get one ???? thanks Rich

kingdick":14iu2ibz said:
Good Afternoon ive just bought a 1990 multi kity machine could do with some advice re belts etc it hasnt come with a manual could i still get one ???? thanks Rich

Hi Rich

Which model? Post a pic if you don't know

Bob

kingdick":1gjw619a said:
180860203027 Thats the ebay number lots of pics

It is a CK26. It runs on 20mm wide flat belts which are still available from the agents or use toothed timing belts running on their backs.

The manuals are a series of paper leaflets nearly all pictures and few useful words. I used to have this machine and they were useless to find anything out.

It is not a bad little machine for a beginner but I soon grew out of it and it helped me decide what machinery I did want to buy after 5 years or so.

Bob

well thankyou now i know what ive got was it worth £250 ?? is it normal it have to cross the belt to run the saw ? is it the same size belt to run the spindle ,saw, 7 mortiser ??

Yes the saw belt does cross over now I recall and so using a toothed belt upside down will NOT be a good idea :oops:

I Think the spindle and the saw use the same size belt but the P/T is different.

1120mm seems to stick in my mind for the saw and spindle.

I never had a belt break on me in 5 years and they were all secondhand then.

Worth £250? Yes of course how else would you get all that capabilty for 250 notes.

Bob

Cheers Bob you know your stuff .. i am a time served bench/shop joiner but went self employed 4 years ago lost the use of all the machinery so this is why ive got this its just the not knowing how a multi works i remember seeing one in a guys shed about 15 years ago and thinking why would you want one of those and look at me now .... when i went to pick it up he said ill show you it working pressed the start button the spindle p,t and the mortiser started going so i said cant you just have the one your using running he said you can yes but you have to mess with the belts !! h&s at its best ......

It is normal to only fit one belt at a time. It will only have a 2hp motor and so not have excess power to waste on spinning mahines you are not using.
I modified my machine to have electric clutches so I could keep the motor running and switch between machines at will.

The worst feature of the CK26 I found was the spindle fence gets in the way of the saw table outfeed. So if you are making mouldings by repeatedly cutting the profile and then ripping the moulding off a board then the fence has to come off each time GRRRR!
I used to make stops to clamp onto the spindle table so I could put the fence back in just the right place each time so the mouldings matched.
The next worse thing is that the saw table tilts rather than the arbour which limits the width of the work that you can cut a bevel on.
Then the is the 15mm saw arbour - Bl00dy French - they just have to be different!!!

Have fun

Bob

At the time they were reasonable value for money compared with the competition and were pretty unique in that the set up was based on individual machines around a single motor. (Same as its small brother the K5). the original concept, which was the forerunner of the ck26, if I remember correctly, was that you selected the table ( ref 700) and then added the machines you required giving a set up selected specifically for your needs. There were a number of options such as band saw and grinder in addition to the usual functions.

You get what you pay for and Bob is right, the tilting table is a poor feature and the fences definately get in the way so you have to be very careful to plan your work to minimise that.

I don't know how many Kity sold in total but in my last 12 months (mid '80s), as manager of a small distributor, we sold upwards of 20 machines all to business users. Doesn't sound a lot but it was compared to our other sales. I recall that they also introduced a direct drive version of the machine (704 DD), so I can't remember what the split in sales was.

Both machines had a single 1.5kw / 2 hp motor but the DD (5 function) had an additional 1/2 hp motor driving the slot morticer.
Capacity of the C26 was: (in the late 80s ).
Saw - table = 400 x 550mm capacity 70mm depth. p/t - capacity 259 x 150 mm. moulder - spindle 30mm

List prices in late 80s was around: 704 DD @ £ 2800 and C26 @ £ 2200 including VAT and both 5 function (4 function was around £400 cheaper)

Bob

EDIT
Just had a quick look among my useful stuff (rubbish to everyone else :) ) and found some old price lists and even older brochure (1981) might be able to scan some if of any interest when I can find time. My prices weren't spot on but pretty damn close. :)

Back