hello from me :).....and what else do i need to buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introuble!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)

First off thanks for all the great info i've already come across skipping across the forums.

Im Dean and just starting off in the world of woodwork, can i start off by asking for some help! I've got a background in groundworks but a new place means lots of wood type jobs for me and the excuse to finaly get some woodworking kit together, any advise on what i've got and what i need to get would be more than appreciated. Trying to get toghether a resonably comprehensive but compact home use woodworking set.

Jobs to do start with some shelfs and then quickly move on to a huge in built set of drawers and wardrobe, all in pine, after that anything i can make out of wood would be great, so far i have (anything relavent to woodwork, not including cordless drills, kangos, cement mixers, chainsaws etc!)....

Triton 2000 bench
Triton Bevel Ripping Guide BRA200
Triton planer attachment kit - with Bosh GH0-36-82c 240v planer (also have ADV-82 thicknesser to go with that)

All the above i just got as new second hand, the planer still on it's first blade.

Im about to order the follow bits to go with that...

Triton TRA-001 Router
Triton RTA-300 Router table
Triton AJA-150 Overhead router mounting kit

I also have sat here already a 110v hitachi C7U circular saw, while i know its not compatable with the table electrics it may have to do for now, also have belt sanders and palm sanders. Also in the toolbox are tape measures etc so im fine for the real obvious bits.

What bits am i missing? I relize i have to get a set of router bits but what else? Do i need metal rulers to help set the table up, set squares etc, what does a template guide bush set do?! Will the triton blade height winder be compatable with any saw and is it worth getting? Are there any great books or other resources you swear by (not at!)?

All comments and advise welcome :)

Thanks,

Dean

Welcome :)

I have only recently started myself, not sure if you already have one but I found a decent square invaluable for doing accurate cuts, joints etc. I've also just invested in a set of Marples chisels. I have a bandsaw, SCMS and router, but theres still a few things that need doing by hand :p (Trying to do mortice and tenon joints with a bandsaw and router is great until you realise you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole! :oops: ) Oh, and a decent fine-tooth saw is high on my must-buy list too....

Hope you enjoy falling down 'the slope' as much as I do! :lol:

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum.

At the moment things are up in the air with Triton (I think the Australian branch went bust) and I do not know what sort of backup you are going to get if things go wrong with your tools.
On the other hand I maybe behind the times and everything has been sorted out.

If I was you I would drop Ray (Argree) who used to be their UK demonstrator a pm and ask him how things stand.

As I said I maybe out of date, but I would hate to let you spend all that money without at least warning you.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks guys,

Dan-K, i have a crash helment so should be ok falling down that!

Mike.C, thanks for the heads up, will stick with the triton bench stuff because for the money i can't see a better alternative plus most tools fit it, maybe worth getting a few spare knobs and things in case any of those break but its fairly well made so should't need any back-up with it should i?

With the Router then thats a differant story, if there going then is there a comparable router for the money? Will try and contact Ray but does anyone else have some info on this? Shame if thats the case, it looked ideal :(

Square and fine tooth saw added to the shopping list Dan, forgot to mention im waiting on a set of chisels to turn up.

Thanks,

Dean

Mike.C":1o51vow0 said:
If I was you I would drop Ray (Argree) who used to be their UK demonstrator a pm and ask him how things stand.

Mike

Found a Argee on the member list, is that the chap? Thanks

introuble!":2mw534lc said:
Thanks guys,

Dan-K, i have a crash helment so should be ok falling down that!

Mike.C, thanks for the heads up, will stick with the triton bench stuff because for the money i can't see a better alternative plus most tools fit it, maybe worth getting a few spare knobs and things in case any of those break but its fairly well made so should't need any back-up with it should i?

With the Router then thats a differant story, if there going then is there a comparable router for the money? Will try and contact Ray but does anyone else have some info on this? Shame if thats the case, it looked ideal :(

Square and fine tooth saw added to the shopping list Dan, forgot to mention im waiting on a set of chisels to turn up.

Thanks,

Dean

Hi Dean, as I said I could be way behind the times. This has been going on for at least six months that I know of, so if they are still selling stuff there is a good chance that another company has taken over.

As for the router it's a great bit of kit. I have had the larger TRA001 in my router table for a few years now.

Ray who is a forum member has a review on a few of Triton products on his website http://www.raygirling.co.uk/ggeshop.htm

Cheers

Mike

According to the guy at Northampton Woodworking Centre Triton is fully working again under the silverline brand. He has loads of new stock in.

Before you buy any more Triton I'd have a look around at other things. The router is great, had a problem with mine recently with the fine height adjuster but managed to sort it. Best is the guide bush set. Its about £30 and its brilliant.

As far as the Triton stuff is concerned, you need to fit as large a saw as possible, as you lose quite a bit of cutting depth when it's fitted to the workcentre. Your C7U is too small and you'll struggle to get 2" depth of cut. The C9U would be better (I use a Makita 5903). The height adjuster is well worth having as you have the actual saw depth adjuster permanently locked at full depth which makes it more rigid and you don't have to grope around under the table to make adjustments, as the height winder works from above the table. The Workcentre is designed specifically to take the Triton saw if you can lay your hands on one. Most saws will fit, but as Triton say, the care you take in setting the whole thing up properly is critical to success. Ask Ray (Argee) if he's got a a spare copy of the manual as without it it's very easy to make a complete pig's ear of the setup (I know, 'cos I've had to sort out two other peoples units!).

Remarkably, I've found that the under-table collection bag works quite well coupled with the vac attachment on the crown guard.

The TRA-001 Router is very highly regarded by most people and has plenty of power for use in the table, but I can't speak from personal experience as I use the big Freud in mine. The Triton router apparently has above table height adjustment, but looking at my table, I can't see how that works, but I don't have any problems adjusting the Freud from under the table (I use a Woodrat plunge bar to take the load off the adjuster for coarse adjustment then the router adjuster for final twiddling and use the turret stops for progressively deeper cuts).

I find the table is excellent (it got a "best on test" in the Woodworker a few years ago). I don't have the overhead router attachment, but I've always intended to get one as it would seem to be ideal if you need to cut lots of dadoes (e.g. for housings for shelving units or wardrobes :wink: )
Dust extraction is quite good although can clog up when routing softwood, which tends to come off in big chips rather than dust.

I've got the planing attachment, but have never been able to get on with it, probably 'cos I've only ever tried it with cheapo planers!

I assume you're buying your new kit from Triton Tools U.K.?

http://www.tritontools.co.uk

I don't know anything about this outfit but they certainly advertise almost everything, although the situation with Triton since they went in to liquidation seems to have become very confused!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Right just to add my two penneth to this. As for the router cutters I would just buy cutters as you need them. It is tempting to buy a set but you will probably find that you won't use half of them. Buy good quality ones like Freud, Wealdon, or Titman and you won't go far wrong, they will last a long time. Now another thing I would recommend is to make yourself a straight edge jig for your circular saw. (Quick search of the 'Net' will show many variations) This will be invaluble for ripping down large stock like sheets without having to use the table saw. Once you start using the router you will find lots of jigs you can make to make life easier too. A router table is invaluble too although I think you mentioned you had one. You can use a light 1/4" router for the table but it has it's limits so I would recommend buying a large 1/2" one for this purpose. When I first started using a router I had a small Bosch one in a table and it worked fine until I wanted to raise panels or make full depth cuts and it did struggle a lot. HTH. :wink:

Thanks all,

will still try and make contact with Ray but Chems reply sounds hopefull :) Looks like the bush guide set is on the shopping list too!

The TRA001 is still the frontrunner! Tony Spear, thanks for the info re cutting depths, are you using the standard series 2000 bench and saw plate? If so the handle fits though one of the two round holes on top of the table yes? Sounds like its worth getting. The C7U will have to stay for at least a couple of months and for now 2" of cut will be enough, will have to look for a dedicated table circular though after that, good to hear your not using a Triton saw and the handle is still compatable. All the manuals are on line so hopefully that will guide me though set up, will be spending a couple of weekends test cutting as well no doubt!

At the moment it looks like Kingdom tools will be getting the next order, can't beat there prices on the few bits im looking at, Tony the overhead kit is £20.15 from them, treat yourself :)

Thanks,

Dean

mailee":114r1zk5 said:
Now another thing I would recommend is to make yourself a straight edge jig for your circular saw. (Quick search of the 'Net' will show many variations)

Thanks for your two penneth mailee! will look into that for sure, sounds like a good idea. With the router cutters i can see the argument, prob only neede 5 or 6 for now but thought a cheap kit would do for now, don't want to ruin any decent ones learning, i should revist that and and have a look at some single cutters, jigs in general are prob going to turn into my next fetish for the next couple of months it seems! 1/2" router and table on the shopping list.

Thanks,

Dean

Tony Spear":13k2yhwb said:
I assume you're buying your new kit from Triton Tools U.K.?

http://www.tritontools.co.uk

I don't know anything about this outfit but they certainly advertise almost everything, although the situation with Triton since they went in to liquidation seems to have become very confused!

Well their web site is very odd, do they sell any Triton kit?
Everything I looked had:

We have discontinued
this product.

Under the price box.

DaveL":2lw1ztnq said:
Everything I looked had:

We have discontinued
this product.

Under the price box.

I have just bought a bit of Triton stuff including router parts from Here

They where very good, quick and knowledgeable about the product.

My advise to all in your position Dean is always the same. Start on what you wish to make, you'll soon find out what kit you are in need of, that way you won't waste your cash on stuff you never use, DAMHIK!

Roy.

Digit":2tnujcy9 said:
My advise to all in your position Dean is always the same. Start on what you wish to make, you'll soon find out what kit you are in need of, that way you won't waste your cash on stuff you never use, DAMHIK!

Roy.

Thanks Roy! I find these things normaly follow a set pattern, a increase in the number of parcels followed shortly by a decline in the bank balance.

Hi Mike, had a chance to check out Rays pages, thanks for the link, some great info there. He seems to rate them both too, i appreciate most folks have probably got 2 (or more!) routers here, do think the smaller tool may be the best buy for the first router? My thoughts were i won't have any free hand work to do on the first few jobs so get the big bench mount first.

Dean

I'd buy the smaller one first, your unlikely to need the extra power the smaller one has better features like a fine adjuster you can use through the table. Its better in the table and more manageable in hand. HTH

First of all...welcome Mike...the guys and gals around here are a hugely helpful bunch and try to get to a bash if you can locally....you will learn a LOT!

Bootfairs are where I pick up most of my kit for next to nuffink! They are just starting now and, sure, you will find some things are regretted when they don't work but try to buy sensibly and you will get some REAL bargains.

Only this morning I picked up a huge foam fire extinguisher for the shop...with a gauge showing "full" for a fiver and a gallon of nitro thinners for £2....a bargin for me as I use a lot on guitars.

Most of my tools are from fairs...just go earlier than the dealers...knock them out of the way and buy hard!

Good luck!

Jim

DaveL":x2tafkfv said:
Everything I looked had:

We have discontinued
this product.

Under the price box.

Dave, I hadn't spotted that - I didn't look as far as the price box :oops:

Dean: Yes, I am using the 2000 Workcentre and saw mounting plate and yes, the winding handle is inserted through the hole in the left hand guide channel (looking from the switch end) and engages in a knob on the end of a screw thread which winds the plate up and down, so virtually any saw can be used.

Incidentally, you'll note that Triton say to use the saw when standing to the right hand side of the Workcentre, but if you're pushed for space take no notice of them! I find it perfectly easy to use it when standing on the left and in fact find this much better when using it in cross-cut mode.

I fully intend to get the overhead router mounting plate at some point, although it would be dead simple to make one!

If you're not going to do much hand routing at first and intend to use the table or the overhead plate, you should definitely get a reasonably powerful (say 1800/2000 watts+) with a 1/2" chuck and try to get one with a lock-on switch if possible. Although I have a couple of 1/4" routers I don't have any problem hand holding the Freud.

hi dean

I have a load of triton parts for sale things like height adjuster (with winder) , triton sliding table, , over head blade guard with dust connection , dust bucket plus some pipes all new bought last year , plus a few other bits as well , and an extension table , if you or anyone else is interest please let me know . hc

ps i would ideally like all to go togeather rather than split but will if i have to

Back