Hello from John

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridethewave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm John

I've Joined as I'm new to turning and know that I need advice. I am also a great believer in forums.
So why turning?
I last used a woodturning lathe at school doing a cse(1). Im now 53.
I'm a self employed gardener gardener and also have a woodburner, chainsaws sheds etc. ive always been atracted to the stands that sell wooden bowls etc and have always been drawn to working with wood.
What pushed me over the edge to do something about it was the last tree job i did, taking down a 10 foot trunk with short cut off branches that has been standing dead for aproximately 15 years. Looks like spalted beech to me.

Since the job I've been watching you tube videos of woodturning bowls etc

Anyway I looked up woodlathes for sale last saturday. Spoke to a friend who's been using a lathe for 53 years and then took my trailer and bought it.

Its a coronet minor with table saw and planer. Came with an assortment of chisels and belts and attatchments and guards. I saw it running, although the owner had been mostly using the planer and saw.

It needs a good clean up and I need lots of good advice...not to be impulsive and taking my time, probably being the first advice I'll hear.

John :)

Welcome to the forum. You have started a very long but incredibly rewarding and enjoyable journey, the members here will be happy to help each step along the way. they are a great bunch with a lot of knowledge between them. The main thing to remember is to enjoy the process of learning, you wont get it all perfect first time round and that's part of the fun for me. good luck and happy sharpening (ooh don't go there :p )

As Phil says, find your local club & get a copy of the beginners bible -
Woodturning:-A-Foundation-Course, Keith Rowley

Email me if you want a manual & other literature for your Coronet.

Get yourself a good sharpening system which is easy to do quick and repeatable grinds, I favour a slow speed grinder and sorby jig for the past 20 years but others have differing points of view. Sharp quality tools make the learning much more pleasurable.

Start of on easy spindle and face plate turning, at worst you will have a couple of hours of fun and a fine pile of shavings to show. Safe practices from the start, good work holding, and plenty of practice, most of all enjoy it.

Oh don't forget not to make the inside of a bowl larger than the out side!!!

Lazurus

That must be where I'm going wrong!!

Seriously, as a starter a Coronet is good. I still use my father's Coronet Major, though I have added a speed control!

Phil

Stanleymonkey":29l4cdij said:
Welcome to the forum - good luck with the lathe and turning.

Sounds like you've got an interesting machine to tinker with as well.

yep theres some attatchments here that I haven't yet worked out what they are for. so I'll tinker around with it and if all else fails read the manual...once I get one.

John

treeturner123":qxurowfx said:
Lazurus

That must be where I'm going wrong!!

Seriously, as a starter a Coronet is good. I still use my father's Coronet Major, though I have added a speed control!

Phil
A speed control... perhaps something I'll look into :)

Droogs":3usrjitk said:
Welcome to the forum. You have started a very long but incredibly rewarding and enjoyable journey, the members here will be happy to help each step along the way. they are a great bunch with a lot of knowledge between them. The main thing to remember is to enjoy the process of learning, you wont get it all perfect first time round and that's part of the fun for me. good luck and happy sharpening (ooh don't go there :p )
Thanks Droogs,
I am very much looking forward to the journey and have a few questions to post.

do members tend to just start a new post each time or do they have a diary that they use to show the journey all in one thread?

Thanks John

On non frivolous posts the convention is basically to try to keep them "searchable"- so your next one could be "what on earth are these Coronet parts" rather than "I did this yesterday" ........... don't get paranoid about it though. :D (yeah, I know, before some clown fishes out my old ones. :D )

Back