Hello from Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taf

Reaction score
Hello All! Just a quick note to introduce myself. Have recently become interested in restoring old furniture, so have bought a few bits from various places with a view of bringing them back to life. I'm at a very basic stage, so just sanding and oiling/varnishing at the moment, although I recently picked up an old farmhouse table that might need a bit more work.

I've ordered a copy of Restoring Furniture by Kenneth Davis, based on a post on this forum, so waiting for that to arrive, and hopefully it will be useful. I'm on the lookout for any related courses that I can do locally.

I'm mostly interested in oak, as I am just amazed by how well it comes up and how beautiful it can be, plus I have a good bit of it in the house already. Over time, I hope to replace the Cumquats IKEA furniture that my wife persuaded me to buy some years ago, when it inevitably falls apart, with decent solid furniture. I will never buy flat pack again, as firstly it's a pain to put together, and secondly it just doesn't seem to last, and relatively speaking it's not that cheap either. Recently, I have restored a coffee table, an old bench, some chairs, and next up is the farmhouse table. I also have some planks of oak that didn't get used for windowsills in the house as they were a bit warped, so will be looking for uses for them as well.

My other hobby is brewing beer, so I am in the process of doing up the brewshed(garage) at the moment. There are shelves that are just old scaffold board left over from the building of the house, which were in quite a state, so recently I have stripped them back and oiled and varnished them, as I am trying to eliminate as much dust or things that dust can cling to as I can, and they look pretty good. I have recently also painted the walls, and will soon seal the floor as well. Any bits of furniture that don't find a home in the house, may find a home in the brewshed instead.

I've also recently bought some old leather furniture for the house which was cheap, and came up beautiful once I gave it a good polish, so I think my interest for older items is growing the whole time.

I'm looking forward to learning from more experienced people on this forum, and getting advice on what tools I should be looking at picking up, as what I have at the moment is very basic.

Cheers,
Billy.

Hi Billy,

Welcome. There are lots of very experienced woodworkers on this forum who are willing to share knowledge with us.

John

Hi ,Billy ,good to have another one of us on here . You will find a very helpful group of people on here ,who will assist you in any way they can .So don't be afraid to ask your questions someone will know or know somebody who does .

Back