Hello from Essex on Sea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGreyDog

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you admin’ for letting me join. I’ve spent about a week exploring and its high time I added a little about myself. I’m a retired office worker but have always tinkered with a bit of wood butchery since my saturday/holiday job in a chippy’ shop and woodmill from age 14. More recently i’m experimenting with simple metal butchery/bashing but dont repair/service, or build/rebuild my own cars any more (done that, including rebuilding engines and pulling gearboxes apart).
My dad was a wooden boatbuilder apprenticed at 14 in 42’ so I suppose the interest is hereditary. I have power tools but still like working with my dad’s old hand tools, Disston saws and old wood-planes etc which I enjoy sharpening and maintaining. I need a bigger workshop than the 8’ x 10’ shed I built (from sawn timber). Last home project was the usual bit of decking ‘out back’. I hope to be able to contribute when I can say something worthwhile from personal experience.

Hello 👋 and I’ve not heard the phrase “wood butcher “ for years since my woodworking lessons in school-greetings and welcome
In my last few weeks at secondary school I spent
Hello 👋 and I’ve not heard the phrase “wood butcher “ for years since my woodworking lessons in school-greetings and welcome
My last few weeks in secondary school were spent in the woodwork class helping the teacher with beginner (third year) classes. We got on well after a rocky start when I was a third year. He bawled me out for not paying attention to the lesson involving the cutting/bevel angle of a chisel and how to sharpen it. I was hauled to his bench at the front and told that if I didn’t need to pay attention he assumed I could already sharpen a chisel - I did the demo for the class lol! We got on great after that:)

Last edited:
In my last few weeks at secondary school I spent

My last few weeks in secondary school were spent in the woodwork class helping the teacher with beginner (third year) classes. We got on well after a rocky start when I was a third year. He bawled me out for not paying attention to the lesson involving the cutting/bevel angel of a chisel and how to sharpen it. I was hauled to his bench at the front and told that if I didn’t need to pay attention he assumed I could already sharpen a chisel - I did the demo for the class lol! We got on great after that:)
Ah the student becomes the master 👍

My dad had taught me how to sharpen and use chisels while I was at junior school… I wasn’t very good at it back then, but had the general idea.
Majority of my woodwork skills are self taught apart from a few basic skills taught at school , along with metal work I hated every other lesson and left at age 15 , 3 hours later I was working as a general dogs body demolishing an old factory, brought a load of old solid wood doors with my first pay packet and built my first shed on my allotment, it was bright blue and stood out like a sore thumb but it didn’t leak and the old boys on neighbouring plots gave me the utmost respect after that and we’re always offering me advice which I took and learned loads from them . As they say those were the days 🤗👌

Hello
I am also in Essex on sea.
My neck of the wood is Southend-on-Sea .
I am new to turning and am I believe a master at the wood Butchering as the saying goes square peg round hole, only thing to note is I can make them fit.
I am looking into doing a class but have got to travel further a field as I don't seem to be able to find anywhere local which is a pain.
I need to look into this a bit more thoroughly as my health is a bit bad at the moment I haven't really been to concerned.
Anyway that's enough about me can I enquire where abouts in Essex and can I also say welcome.
Stay safe and be well
Ade

Hello
I am also in Essex on sea.
My neck of the wood is Southend-on-Sea .
I am new to turning and am I believe a master at the wood Butchering as the saying goes square peg round hole, only thing to note is I can make them fit.
I am looking into doing a class but have got to travel further a field as I don't seem to be able to find anywhere local which is a pain.
I need to look into this a bit more thoroughly as my health is a bit bad at the moment I haven't really been to concerned.
Anyway that's enough about me can I enquire where abouts in Essex and can I also say welcome.
Stay safe and be well
Ade
I’ve not done wood lathe turning since I was at school! I remember it was great fun though, and i’m planning on setting up my dad’s old router lathe this summer. I try to do processes that raise a lot of wood dust outside in the garden as it quickly overwhelms my small shed, and I don’t want everything covered in dust. I have just today taken delivery of a little, cheapo’ band saw though, which I think will be fine in the shed using an old Dyson connected to the dust port.

As for location i’m only four stops to the west on the c2c line (Benfleet).

I enjoy the process of making lots of sawdust and shavings and that's about as far as I get at the moment.
So I just believe that one day in the hopefully not to distant future I will stop the lathe and have something other than a wand or tooth pick.
We all need a goal.

Latest posts

Back