Hello from EIRE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Just dropping in to say hello and tell you a bit about myself.
I have been doing woodwork now for 15 years. Served my time as a cabinet maker.
Started out doing restoration and done that for about 5 years and really enjoyed it. Then I changed to period joinery which I love. Love the whole thing of off standard. Used to do conservation of period buildings so had to do the whole job from start to finish and put it back as it was. Look forward to some craic and sharing info with you lot.
Atb
Teckel :D :D

Welcome the the forum. Are you involved in woodworking professionally now, and if so, how is the employment situation over there at the moment?

Hi, Teckel

Welcome.

Have you got any pictures of your work, it sounds interesting.

Pete

Lord Kitchener":2tdzd6nj said:
Welcome the the forum. Are you involved in woodworking professionally now, and if so, how is the employment situation over there at the moment?
Hello Lord Kitchener. Thanks for the welcome.
I'm not working at the moment. Things are very very bad here at the minute. Not much going on in the building trade.
We'll keep our head above water anyway. We won't panic.

Racers":3qtdwz4n said:
Hi, Teckel

Welcome.

Have you got any pictures of your work, it sounds interesting.

Pete
Thanks for the welcome Pete.
Never kept a portfolio of work but can show you some pictures of jobs around my own house...
How do I upload pics here. Not great on the computer.

Hi Teckel and welcome - I am from up the north county antrim.

Look forward to seeing some images of your work.

Best

Ian

Thanks for the welcome lads.
This computer stuff goes way beyond my intelligence..how the fup do I upload photos to the forum????????? :evil: :evil: :evil:

If you look at the sticky there are instructions, if still needing assistance send me a private message with your telephone number (I have plenty of free minutes left for the month and I will describe whats involved.) after 14.00gmt. Have you got a digital camera? or a web camera?

devonwoody":39jgjv8h said:
If you look at the sticky there are instructions, if still needing assistance send me a private message with your telephone number (I have plenty of free minutes left for the month and I will describe whats involved.) after 14.00gmt. Have you got a digital camera? or a web camera?

I think the sticky on pictures has disappeared.

Very brief summary - two methods.

Method 1 - good for any size of picture

1 Upload your pics to an on-line photo sharing site such as Photobucket.
2 Write your message. When you want a picture, insert the url of the picture (ie where it is on-line) into the text, with image tags
before and after. The message editor has a button to do this. If you use Photobucket and pick the 'sharing' link they put the tags in for you.

Method 2 - for small pictures only (less than 250kb I think)

Scroll down when typing your message and you find a bit for adding attachments. Each picture will be an attached file. Follow the instructions to find the pictures on your computer and upload them to the UK Workshop site.
There is a button to make your pictures appear in-line with the message.

If in doubt, use the Preview button before you press Submit.

Welcome Teckel,

Photobucket may sound like a dodgy name but I have found it to be very good.

After you've been through the hoops of resizing, uploading, getting the right link code .... you'll be just fine. :)

This is a picture of my front door that I made. No fancy CNC machines here. Bandsaw and spokeshave for the curves. Spindle moulder for the mouldings and then a scratchstock to fine tune. Mortice and tenon joinery. Door is roughly 2.5" thick. Enjoyed this job.
Door.jpg

This is my kitchen. Again no fancy machines. face frames made from poplar. doors made from mmdf with poplar moulding. Turnings made from 4" red deal. Cornice from poplar and skirting from mmdf
Kitchen.jpg

Kitchen 2.jpg

This is a fireplace surround I made from mmdf with poplar mouldings. Nice job to do.
Fireplace.jpg

Hope ye like the pictures. :D :D

Stairs is next to finish. About 3/4 done. Monkeys tail and some turnings and finish paneling on underside.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Kitchen 2.jpg
    Kitchen 2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the replys lads.
And thanks to you devonwoody for the offer of trying to sort out the pics for me.
ATB
teckel

Click on the blue part of the message and you should get another web page appear. (sound needs to be switched on)

I thought the pictures would be interesting as well.

devonwoody":1cxhensg said:
Click on the blue part of the message and you should get another web page appear. (sound needs to be switched on)

I thought the pictures would be interesting as well.

Sorry woody I was looking at it on iphone and nothing was happening. Had to turn on the laptop.
All those pictures are from the south west. That area is aimed at the yanks.
Theres beautiful countryside all over this country. Especially around the southeast..Kilkenny Wexford Wicklow. Beautiful part of the country.
Teckel

Teckel":1wc3q8k8 said:
Started out doing restoration and done that for about 5 years and really enjoyed it. Then I changed to period joinery which I love. Love the whole thing of off standard. Used to do conservation of period buildings so had to do the whole job from start to finish and put it back as it was. Teckel :D :D

Welcome Teckel!

My Brother has done a fair bit of conservation/restoration work for an outfit over here called the Landmark Trust and he once told me that he was up on a scaffold hand adzing something to match an existing piece of work and he said that he could actually envisage how the original craftsman had been thinking and working centuries ago.

P.S. regarding keeping your head above water, there's a great quote from an Irish rugby player (maybe Sir Tony O'Reilly?), which seems to sum up the situation:

"The state of English rugby is often serious but never desperate, however, the state of Irish rugby is always desperate, but never serious"!

Latest posts

Back