Hello from EIRE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony Spear":3095vp8n said:
Teckel":3095vp8n said:
Started out doing restoration and done that for about 5 years and really enjoyed it. Then I changed to period joinery which I love. Love the whole thing of off standard. Used to do conservation of period buildings so had to do the whole job from start to finish and put it back as it was. Teckel :D :D

Welcome Teckel!

My Brother has done a fair bit of conservation/restoration work for an outfit over here called the Landmark Trust and he once told me that he was up on a scaffold hand adzing something to match an existing piece of work and he said that he could actually envisage how the original craftsman had been thinking and working centuries ago.

P.S. regarding keeping your head above water, there's a great quote from an Irish rugby player (maybe Sir Tony O'Reilly?), which seems to sum up the situation:

"The state of English rugby is often serious but never desperate, however, the state of Irish rugby is always desperate, but never serious"!

And thats how it felt Tony for me when I worked on those buildings. It was a great experiance to follow in their footsteps. They truly were amazing craftsmen. When I worked on restoration the furniture was fantastic to look at let alone work on. I think the craft is slowly disapearing to the modern machine and mass production. I think we are losing out on the ways of old.
There are very few I've seen who can match the skill of the old cabinetmaker.

As regards the head above water. We are a laid back bunch alright. "theres no point getting thick about it"
ATB
Teckel

Agreed!

I don't think Coulter would put himself in the same class as Luke Kelly. In fact I think he once decribed Kelly as a genius.

Coulter did arrange some of the Dubliners stuff, I wonder if that was one of them?

Back