Hello from Devon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johna.clements

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am a retired civil engineer but have a few hours work in hospitality a few hours a week to get me out of the house.

My professional involvement is the design of shuttering but that was some time ago.

I have extended the cupboard under the stairs. Also built a shed which I now realise should have been bigger. Both built using hand saw and a cheap drill.
Its 1.255 by 1960 internal plus a small porch 1265 (slightly out of square) by about 650. I am about to put in a bench and some shelves.
I have a paved area next to the shed so can work on bigger sheets there, when it is dry.

Have just bought a cheap track saw, which I could use inside the shed on small stuff or outside and a router. The shed also has some gardening tools so there will not be much room for any other large tools but will be more organised once shelved etc. Not planning to buy any more tools this year.

After the bench shed fit out I plan to build a cupboard in the kitchen for the vacuum cleaner etc and some shelves in the living room. No plans to build furniture at the moment, need to improve my skills first and I am not sure what I would want to build.

I say that every year even knowing I am more than likely lying to myself lol

Welcome to the forum John. I'm sure you will find it a great place to be

Well I am limited by the space so can not buy anything big. When I have built the cupboard in the kitchen there would be room for some small hand tools, jigs etc.
But I may have to buy a shop vac or dust extractor if I start doing much sawing, sanding inside . so that could be the end of the summer when bench fitout complete but no other tools planned this year.

Well I am limited by the space so can not buy anything big. When I have built the cupboard in the kitchen there would be room for some small hand tools, jigs etc.
But I may have to buy a shop vac or dust extractor if I start doing much sawing, sanding inside . so that could be the end of the summer when bench fitout complete but no other tools planned this year.
Sounds like that paved area is ideal for a shed extension to give yourself more inside space - your definitely in the right place for good advice- welcome to the forum 😊😊

Sounds like that paved area is ideal for a shed extension to give yourself more inside space - your definitely in the right place for good advice- welcome to the forum 😊😊
I am here for advice and ideas.

My shed is on a hill side, two walls form retaining walls. The paved area is 900mm above the floor of the shed, it was very easy to build the shed roof but I would break my neck if I fell off the other side. Would require major excavation to extend that way. I have a bench up there where it is nice to sit of evening with a beer and look up towards Dartmoor. The other way it is level for about 500mm then another drop of about 900mm with the steps up from the house at the bottom of that retaining wall.

I could have built it slightly wider and a bit longer at the time but it would be difficult to alter now. The only large flat area has an apple tree growing on it I do not want to chop the tree down.

Welcome to the forum. Every shed you ever build will be too small. They are like an anti-Tardis. They look huge from the outside, but when you go inside, it's tiny. Time stops when you go inside!!

I am here for advice and ideas.

My shed is on a hill side, two walls form retaining walls. The paved area is 900mm above the floor of the shed, it was very easy to build the shed roof but I would break my neck if I fell off the other side. Would require major excavation to extend that way. I have a bench up there where it is nice to sit of evening with a beer and look up towards Dartmoor. The other way it is level for about 500mm then another drop of about 900mm with the steps up from the house at the bottom of that retaining wall.

I could have built it slightly wider and a bit longer at the time but it would be difficult to alter now. The only large flat area has an apple tree growing on it I do not want to chop the tree down.
I understand- however your description of your shed and views over the moors etc sounds awesome and worth the sacrifice of a smaller shed/ workshop

Hi John, from East Devon.

I agree about the shed-size quandary - mine is 12' x 7' so no room for a proper bench and I have to have a foldaway table saw but I have some space outside for bigger projects. We have a much bigger 'log cabin' building in the garden but I am not allowed to mess that up! Do you have a 'Mens' Shed' or similar near where you are? We have one here in Exmouth and it has been fantastic for learning woodturning - not just having the tools but also loads of free advice and teaching.

Hi John, from East Devon.

I agree about the shed-size quandary - mine is 12' x 7' so no room for a proper bench and I have to have a foldaway table saw but I have some space outside for bigger projects. We have a much bigger 'log cabin' building in the garden but I am not allowed to mess that up! Do you have a 'Mens' Shed' or similar near where you are? We have one here in Exmouth and it has been fantastic for learning woodturning - not just having the tools but also loads of free advice and teaching.
Thanks The Mens Shed idea could be good. Just looked them up and there is one in Torquay. Could get there quite easily on the bus.

I used to go in the kings Arms or when the sun was out the back beach, New Quay or Ship. But I have been spending more time in the spoons recently.
I'm on my way...!

However my daughter unhelpfully reminds me that I'll still be doing the secondary school run in 10 years time!🤣🤣🤣

Once the last is off to uni I'm driving south till the butter melts!!

A retired engineer myself, and we moved back to central Devon a little under three weeks ago.

Having relatively little workshop space is a problem if you are a doer but being an engineer also generally means practical creativity.

I am blessed with lots of workshop space now - but that was one of the key criteria in choosing our new (to us) house.

I used to go in the kings Arms or when the sun was out the back beach, New Quay or Ship. But I have been spending more time in the spoons recently.
My daughter was making and distributing bunting to all the local pubs last week she s a Malloys / Newquay girl We just love the artist quarter like being in old towns abroad

Back