Hello from Davis, California.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John DeLapp

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am an old guy building guitars in the Central Valley of California, USA. I built the shop near the downtown area in 1978.
I use a mix of hand and power tools, preferring the hand tools that were used by the fellows who built this area. Specifically the period between the end of the eighteen hundreds through the 1930’s.
Recently I have been learning sunburst finishing.
The clip is my pal Bob playing an iteration of a Gibson L-00.

3223CBCB-ACE1-4F46-9ABD-133E8F6BF2CF.jpeg

He'S harpening on
It's the topic that starts the most fights, well that was until global warming and the B word were invented lol
Oh, thank goodness. I was afraid it was Stanley; that rapacious entity that swallowed so many tool makers in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Like Microsoft in the last century. And yet the tools I use daily would be pretty sparse without them
He'S harpening on
It's the topic that starts the most fights, well that was until global warming and the B word were invented lol
Thank Goodness, I was worried that it A04D8E15-8A64-47DA-8918-2F7A9E487BF8.jpeg2BF0895A-9F3C-49D3-8E96-59F27EAFBDCA.jpegwas Stanley. It was a pretty rapacious company at one time, and yet if not for them I’d be pretty sparse for hand tools.
As for the edgier topics, I’ve been doing this so long (early 70’s) I’ve lived through all the fads.

That is a very nice flight of wood levellers.
If you ever decide to get ride of the tatty one in the bottom left corner with the metal knob on, I'll happily give it a caring new home. Been looking for a nice one of those for ages

That is a very nice flight of wood levellers.
If you ever decide to get ride of the tatty one in the bottom left corner with the metal knob on, I'll happily give it a caring new home. Been looking for a nice one of those for ages
The number 20 compass plane? That’s one of the few, along with the #98 and 99 side rabbets that I use regularly out of that box. Or one of the block planes? They’re all pretty tatty.

Yeah, not many #20 around over here that are a reasonable price for the condition. The 2nd from the left looks like a nice early one

Welcome from a little northeast of you. I won't bark at you if you decide to talk about sharpening or anything else wood related. I'm tolerant. 😉
Nice to see a collection of tools that haven't been "restored to death" and even wearing a little dust.

Pete

Welcome from a little northeast of you. I won't bark at you if you decide to talk about sharpening or anything else wood related. I'm tolerant. 😉
Nice to see a collection of tools that haven't been "restored to death" and even wearing a little dust.

Pete
Over cleaning planes is something I have been guilty of in my younger days. I try to be much more thoughtful now. The dust though, every month or two I mask up, turn on the air filter and dust collector and have at it with compressed air.

Back