Hello from Bucks/Oxon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisWiduWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, New to this forum never even lurked! Im in my 40's and i guess id call myself a mobile joiner as i have most of the tools in a mobile aspect.fitted hundreds of stairs over the years so i guess thats my speciality. but il take anything on tbf (just not skirtings/archs) been there done that :ROFLMAO: , iv'
IMG_0255.jpeg
IMG_5119.jpeg
DSCF0449.JPG
20171005_142917.jpg
Photo0100.jpg
IMG_3817.jpeg
e hundreds of photo's of all sorts but here's some stuff!

Hi all, New to this forum never even lurked! Im in my 40's and i guess id call myself a mobile joiner as i have most of the tools in a mobile aspect.fitted hundreds of stairs over the years so i guess thats my speciality. but il take anything on tbf (just not skirtings/archs) been there done that :ROFLMAO: , iv'View attachment 134379View attachment 134380View attachment 134381View attachment 134382View attachment 134383View attachment 134384e hundreds of photo's of all sorts but here's some stuff!
Absolutely gorgeous work - love 💕 the stairs and of course welcome to you .👍🙏

@ChrisWiduWood hello and welcome, some amazing work there 😍, where abouts in Bucks? I spent my first 27 years of life in Aylesbury.

Hi Stigmorgan, im Based in The Hambleden Valley which is in Between Marlow and Henley right on the cusp of Oxfordshire. most of the stairs iv'e worked on have been fitted in Beaconsfield, Gerrad's Cross and surrounding towns, Also lots of work in High Wycombe, not so much in Aylesbury though.

Cheers

Welcome ChrisWiduWood. Love the bridge, can I assume the handrail is acting as a truss. It looks really elegant, good job.
Hi GSP,
This Bridge is based on the 'famous' Mathematical Bridge in Cambridge, Our version was originally Iroko and 40+ or so years old, it had Failed in various places and was found unsafe and so we had the job deconstructing it and with what parts were still intact we had a giant game of suduku and drew up the bridge on Sketchup and made an exact replica in Opepe! (Bilinga_(wood))
As it was a copy i don't really know too much about the design, but iv'e taken a snip of the wiki page and it explains-

"The arrangement of timbers is a series of tangents that describe the arc of the bridge, with radial members to tie the tangents together and triangulate the structure, making it rigid and self-supporting. This type of structure, technically tangent and radial trussing, is an efficient structural use of timber, and was also used for the timber supporting arches (centring) used for building stone bridges.[6] Analysis of the design shows that the tangent members are almost entirely under compression, while the radial timbers are almost entirely subject to tension with very little bending stress, or to put it another way, the tangent and radial elements elegantly express the forces involved in arched construction."

here is the link Mathematical_Bridge

Cheers
Chris

Hi Stigmorgan, im Based in The Hambleden Valley which is in Between Marlow and Henley right on the cusp of Oxfordshire. most of the stairs iv'e worked on have been fitted in Beaconsfield, Gerrad's Cross and surrounding towns, Also lots of work in High Wycombe, not so much in Aylesbury though.

Cheers
Studied engineering rather than furniture design at HW what was I thinking!🤣🤣🤣

Cambridge isn’t somewhere I am familiar with but it kinda (?) reminds me of the Chinese woven bridge. How to make an arch using only straight lines. Every time my kids get the lolly pop sticks out to do a bit of crafting I end up making one. Fascinating.
May have to visit Cambridge over the summer and take a look.
BA7BD1EA-5713-41FD-9E23-B6090628A9B6.jpeg

Cheers
Hi @ChrisWiduWood

Firstly, love your work! A whole set of levels beyond me.

Secondly, I'm a fellow Bucksy from Haddenham.

Thirdly, I love Hambleden. Have played cricket there on many Sundays over the years. Absolutely stunning place and one of the best cricket venues I have ever played in.

Lot of Midsomer Murders is shot there, or at least used to be.

Welcome to the forum!

Back